Find
ways to reduce wildlife-human conflict and avoid wildlife damage.
Explore
Wisconsin's rare plants, animals and natural communities.
Discover
tips to manage your land for wildlife.
Learn
about wildlife health and rehabilitation.
Contact information
For information on elk, contact:
Kevin Wallenfang
Wildlife biologist
Bureau of Wildlife Management
608-261-7589

Elk range

Based on the habitat suitability model derived from a study by Didier and Porter, the Wisconsin Elk Study Committee (WESCO) determined that the United States Forest Service (USFS) Great Divide District (GDD) of the Chequamegon National Forest (CNF) near Clam Lake was most suited for an elk reintroduction. The clam lake elk range was recently expanded by 506 mi² so the CNF-GDD currently consists of 1221 mi² (781,440 acres) in portions of Ashland, Bayfield, Price, Rusk and Sawyer Counties in northcentral Wisconsin. State Highway 77 and County Highways GG and M converge near the center of the GDD at the Community of Clam Lake. The GDD is mostly under National Forest ownership (81% or 370,656 acres). The remaining 19% (86,944 acres) is privately owned, with relatively little in agricultural production.

Clam Lake elk range
Last revised: Wednesday October 30 2013