Anders Johansen with a trapped mink ©Kris Johansen
- Contact Information
- Curtis Twellmann
Assistant Furbearer Specialist
Bureau of Wildlife Management
Trapping license and fees
NEW! Check out our new reference documents:
Resident: $20, Non-Resident $150.
Wisconsin allows trapping by nonresidents from those states that allow Wisconsin residents to purchase nonresident licenses and trap in that state. This includes all states except Hawaii, Minnesota and Washington D.C. Non-resident licenses also require the successful completion of the Wisconsin Trapper Education Course or completion of a comparable Trapper Education course in another state as determined by the Wisconsin DNR. Non-resident trappers are subject to all seasons and regulations that pertain to the state of Wisconsin.
A resident who has never purchased a license before, or has not purchased one in the last 10 years, may purchase a first-time buyer license for $5. Non-residents who have never purchased a license may do so for half price ($75.75). There is also a $10 youth trapping license for youth under the age of 15.
A trapping license may be purchased by:
- visiting a DNR Service Center;
- visiting a license sales location;
- using the Online Licensing Center (WI residents only) .
To trap bobcat, fisher and otter you must apply for a permit.
No age restrictions apply to trapping. All trappers must obtain a trapping license regardless of age. A minimum age of 10 years is recommended for successful completion of a Trapper Education program.
You may not:
- transfer your license, permit or tag, or allow its use by anyone else, except as provided in the regulations;
- carry any trapping license, permit or tag issued to anyone else; or
- obtain a trapping license, permit or tag for someone else except a parent may purchase for their minor child/children.
Trapping requirementsUnder Wisconsin law, an approval authorizing trapping can only be issued if the customer meets one of the following requirements: