- Related links
- Contact information
- For information about recycling education and outreach, contact:
- Elisabeth Olson
Recycling education and outreach
The DNR and its recycling program partners have many resources for a variety of audiences. Learn how reducing, reusing and recycling can help you, your community, your business and the environment by saving money, energy and natural resources. Together, we can make a difference.
Publications and posters
The following publications are available in print and sometimes in electronic form. If an electronic version is available, there is a link to that publication for easy downloading. All titles are followed by the publication number for easy ordering.
Use the following publication order form to request individual publications or bulk quantities (up to 100 copies). This order form will be updated twice a year.
To view other recycling publications, visit the searchable publications system. You can search by publication title or keyword or select the recycling category on the first screen to view all recycling related publications in the system.
- A Guide to Recycling for Owners of Apartments & Other Multi-Family Dwellings (WA-1638)
- A Renter's Guide to Recycling and Waste Reduction (English) (WA-1633)
- Battery Recycling for Businesses (WA-1622)
- Recycle Used Oil (poster/sign) (IE-100)
- Recycle Used Motor Oil Here (poster) (IE-101)
- Recycle Vehicle Batteries Here (poster) (IE-103)
- Recycling and Waste Reduction: A Guide for Schools (WA-1561)
- Recycling and Waste Reduction: A Guide for the Workplace (WA-1533)
- Recycling and Waste Reduction at Convenience Stores and Gas Stations (WA-1534)
- Recycling and Waste Reduction for the Lodging Industry (WA-1535)
- Recycling and Waste Reduction in the Restaurant Industry (WA-1536)
- Wisconsin Business Recycling Toolkit Flier (out of print) (WA-1483)
- Wisconsin Recycling Means Business (out of print) (WA-1000)
- Garbage to Gardens: Compost Grows Poster (WA-1528)
- Home Composting: Reap A Heap of Benefits (WA-1149)
- Home Composting: The Basic Composter (WA-182)
- Yard Care: Do Your Share! (WA-073)
- E-Cycle Wisconsin brochure (WA-1426)
- E-Cycle Wisconsin business card (WA-1597)
- E-Cycle Wisconsin customer/resident education sign (WA-1598)
- E-Cycle Wisconsin eligible devices & landfill/incineration ban flier (WA-1427)
- E-Cycle Wisconsin 1/3-page flier (WA-1544)
- Managing Used Electronics: A Guide for Businesses, Institutions, Governments and Non-Profits (WA-420)
- What happens when I e-cycle? poster (WA-1627)
- Why e-cycle? poster (WA-1628)
- "World of difference" educational poster (WA-1629)
- Recycling and Waste Reduction at Your Special Event (WA-1537)
- Special Event Vendor Recycling Info Sheet(out of print) (WA-1708)
- "This Event Recycles" special event recycling sign(out of print)(WA-1709)
- Landfill Waste container sign(out of print) (WA-1710)
- Household Battery Recycling (WA-1621)
- Recycle, It's Easy! Instructional Poster (out of print) (CE-2014)
- Three Arrows FAQ Recycling Poster (CE-2018)
- Top Tips for a Successful Recycling Program (out of print) (CE-2017)
- Waste Reduction: Think It Through...It's Up To You! (IE-206)
- Wisconsin Recycles: list of items banned from Wisconsin landfills and incinerators (WA-1574)
- Wisconsin Waste Reduction and Recycling Program (WA-422)
- Wisconsin...Where Recyclables Are Too Valuable To Waste! (poster) (WA-424)
Health care waste
- Protect Yourself, Protect Your Community: Safe Options for Household Sharps Disposal 1/3-page flier (WA-1635)
- Protect Yourself, Protect Your Community: Safe Options for Household Sharps Disposal Poster (WA-1636)
- Protect Yourself, Protect Your Community: Safe Options for Household Sharps Disposal Brochure (WA-1637)
- Burning Garbage: A Problem for Our Communities (WA-1373)
- Burning Permits: It's Your Responsibility (FR-400)
- Don't Burn Agricultural Plastics (WA-1592)
Plastic bag and film recycling
- Wisconsin WRAP Plastic Bag and Film Recycling Poster (WA-1694)
- Wisconsin WRAP Plastic Bag and Film Recycling 1/3-page Flier (WA-1695)
- WRAP Plastic Film Recycling Tips for Businesses and Retailers (out of print) (WA-1703)
- WRAP Plastic Film Recycling Outreach Tip Sheet (out of print) (WA-1704)
- Keepin' It In the Loop K-8 Teacher Activity Guide (WA-1526)
- Nature's Recyclers Activity Guide (out of print) (IE-043)
- Nature's Recyclers Coloring Book -English (IE-042)
- Nature's Recyclers Coloring Book - Spanish (CE-999)
- Nature's Recyclers Poster (CE-5013)
- Plant the seed for a Green & Healthy School (WA-1632)
- Recycling and Beyond: Fun Stuff Activity Book for Kids (CE-2010)
- Wee Crafts Activity Guide (CE-2012)
- Wee Recyclers Early Childhood Environmental Education Program Guide (CE-2011)
Tips for responsible units
The ReSource newsletter
The ReSource newsletter is no longer being produced, but previous copies are available below. Please note that issues may include outdated information, including names, phone numbers and email addresses. To see issues older than those listed, visit the searchable publications database and select "Newsletter" in the Keyword Search.
Clear and consistent signage and labeling increase recycling collection rates and decrease improper disposal if recyclable materials. Use these labels to clearly identify your recycling and trash collection containers.
- Cardboard collection only
- Mixed glass collection only
- Plastics #1 & #2 collection only
- Aluminum cans only
- Steel/tin cans only
- Metal containers only
- Individual item collection labels
- Single stream collection without carton containers
- Single stream collection with carton containers
- Container collection only without carton containers
- Container collection only with carton containers
- Mixed paper collection only
- Office composting
- Trash collection
- Recycle used motor oil here
- Recycle used motor oil
- Recycle automotive batteries here
- E-Cycle TV ad - This 30-second ad shows some ridiculous uses of old electronics and lets people know there’s a better way to give old electronics new life.
- What happens when I e-cycle? - Ever wonder what happens to electronics after you drop them off at a collection point? This video takes you inside today's high-tech electronics recycling operations.
- Lessons from a Landfill - This documentary film provides a look behind the scenes at the daily workings of a county landfill in Wisconsin.
- Landfills and Garbology - How does a landfill work? Take a video tour.
- Too Valuable to Waste - A six minute video illustrating how paper, plastics and other recyclables are changed into brand new products once they leave the curb - all while creating thousands of good jobs!
The DNR has produced radio spots to promote grass-cycling, composting and leaf-mulching in Wisconsin. These radio ads are available to any community or organization interested in airing them. Please contact Elisabeth Olson for more information.
Air Defenders: The Quest for Clean Air - A community educational resources on open burning, air quality and respiratory health for teachers, health officials, and other non-formal educators. Air Defenders is an interdisciplinary, multi-media educational program organized as a kit and web site. Kids team up with the Air Defenders - Seeker, Identifyre and Recyclotron - to pursue their quest: to clean the air and protect community health. Air Defenders to the rescue!
EEK! This electronic magazine is for kids in grades 4-8. Keyword search: Recycling.
Education Connection An order form for all DNR educational materials.
Green & Healthy Schools Wisconsin Join schools across Wisconsin in demonstrating a commitment to a sustainable Earth, stronger communities and healthier learning environments. Learn how your school can become an official Wisconsin Green & Healthy School as you teach and implement recycling and other sustainable practices.
Nature's Recyclers This activity guide is intended to help you teach people about natural recycling, cycles in nature and the important role people must play in recycling our natural resources.
- Nature's Recyclers Coloring Book
- Nature's Recyclers Coloring Book - Spanish
- Nature's Recyclers Poster
Keepin' It In the Loop These study guides are designed to help you and your students begin thinking about recycling – why it's important and how resources can be conserved and protected. Two guides are available, one for grades K-3 and the other for grades 4-8.
Recycling and Beyond: Fun Stuff Recycling activity and coloring book for kids.
The Wee Recyclers Early Childhood Environmental Education Program helps you teach children to become Wee Recyclers. Materials are designed for use with 3 to 5-year-olds in early child care settings; however, most activities can be modified for use with other age groups.
Wee Crafts In this Wee Crafts guide, we provide some specific craft projects for you to create with your children.