Once designated to be a jet fighter base, Richard Bong State Recreation Area is fittingly named after Major Richard I. Bong, a Poplar, WI native who was America's leading air ace during World War II. The air base was abandoned three days before concrete was to be poured for a 12,500-foot runway. Local citizens had the foresight to protect this open space for future generations.
- Contact information
- For information, contact:
- Richard Bong State Recreation Area
26313 Burlington Rd.
Kansasville, WI 53139
- Trail information line
- For current trail availability, call:
Wisconsin State Park System Richard Bong State Recreation Area
Recreation area information
- Richard Bong State Recreation Area is open year-round from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Office hours vary by season.
Richard Bong State Recreation Area is eight miles southeast of Burlington, WI on State Highway 142. The entrance is a little less than one mile west of State Highway 75. The latitude is 42° 38' 6.8" north and longitude 88° 7' 36.5" west. It is about 47 miles from Milwaukee, 71 miles from Chicago and 362 miles from Minneapolis.
- Vehicle admission sticker is required.
- Camping fees for the Wisconsin State Park System.
- State trail pass is required for off-road bikers, horseback riders and off-highway motorcyclists 16 years of age and older.
- Hunting and fishing licenses apply.
- All-terrain Vehicles need to be registered (ATVs not dirt bikes) before arriving at the property.
Friends group and volunteering
- Richard Bong State Recreation Area map
- Sunrise campground
- Sunset campground
- Hunting map
- Special use area/dog training map