Once designated to be a jet fighter base, Richard Bong State Recreation Area is fittingly named after Major Richard I. Bong, a Poplar, WI native who was America's leading air ace during World War II. The air base was abandoned three days before concrete was to be poured for a 12,500-foot runway. Local citizens had the foresight to protect this open space for future generations.
- Contact information
- For information, contact:
- Richard Bong State Recreation Area
26313 Burlington Rd.
Kansasville, WI 53139
- Trail information line
- For current trail availability, call:
Wisconsin State Park System Richard Bong State Recreation Area
Please be aware that Wolf Lake water levels are very low due to failure of the water control structure. The water levels have dropped below the regular swimming area, and swimming is not advised. Do to extremely low water, boating options are very limited. Repairs are planned but are unlikely to be completed in 2013. Please contact Park staff for information on local area swimming, fishing and boating alternatives.
Ash trees infested with emerald ash borer are being removed from this property. Ash trees are prone to dropping their branches once they are in decline, so the trees could become a safety concern. Because ash was a dominant tree in the campgrounds, campers will notice campsites are more open. Please buy your firewood at or near the recreation area to help prevent the spreading of emerald ash borer and other tree pests or diseases when camping or returning home.
Recreation area information
- Richard Bong State Recreation Area is open year-round from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Office hours vary by season.
Richard Bong State Recreation Area is eight miles southeast of Burlington, WI on State Highway 142. The entrance is a little less than one mile west of State Highway 75. The latitude is 42° 38' 6.8" north and longitude 88° 7' 36.5" west. It is about 47 miles from Milwaukee, 71 miles from Chicago and 362 miles from Minneapolis.
- Vehicle admission sticker is required.
- State trail pass is required for off-road bikers, horseback riders and off-highway motorcyclists 16 years of age and older.
- Hunting and fishing licenses apply.
- All-terrain Vehicles need to be registered (ATVs not dirt bikes) before arriving at the property.