Founded in 1911, Devil's Lake is the third oldest state park in Wisconsin, the largest and the most visited. Devil's Lake offers magnificent views from 500-foot quartzite bluffs overlooking a 360-acre lake. Enjoy lakeshore picnic areas, sandy swimming beaches, 29 miles of hiking trails, or ease into the backcountry solitude. Devil's Lake is a beautiful year-round park with an intriguing natural history along the 1,000-mile Ice Age National Scenic Trail.
- Contact information
- For information, contact:
- Devil's Lake State Park
S5975 Park Rd.
Baraboo, WI 53913-9299
Wisconsin State Park System Devil's Lake State Park
Attention: Due to multiple Shower/Flush Toilet Building development projects family campgrounds are now closed for the off-season.
We have targeted this project to be completed in time for the Memorial Day weekend in 2015 or earlier. For specific details about camping availability for this fall and winter go to current conditions. Please sign up for future email updates via Gov Delivery.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for your support while we complete this very important project.
- Devil's Lake State Park is open year-round from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Visitor center hours are from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily in the summer and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. during other seasons.
- The nature center hours are 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily in season. After October 14, the nature center is closed most days.
Devil's Lake State Park is in south central Wisconsin about 3 miles south of Baraboo. From the south or east on Interstate Highway 90/94, take State Highway 33 west about 15 miles to Baraboo. Turn left (south) on State Highway 123 and go 3 miles to the park. From the northwest on I-90/94, go right (south) at exit 92. Take US Highway 12-East about 10 miles to State Highway 159. Turn left (east) on Highway 159 and go about 2 miles to the park. From the south on US 12, turn right (east) on Highway 159 and go about 2 miles to the park. From about April through November, the park can be reached via the Merrimac free ferry, State Highway 113 and County Highway DL.
- Vehicle admission sticker is required.
- Hunting and fishing licenses apply.
- Devil's Lake State Park is part of the Ice Age National Scientific Reserve and Federal passes are honored. Holders of National Parks passports receive a waiver of the vehicle admission fees, but camping fees are not affected.
Concessions and rental equipment
There are concessions buildings on both the north and south shore ends of the lake and in the Ice Age Campground. The buildings are open all summer and some spring and fall weekends. The stores sell food and groceries, basic camp items, ice, firewood, souvenirs, shirts and hats. Proceeds from nonprofit stores' sales go to the park and are used to enhance customer services. Both buildings on the lake rent boats and canoes during summer.
Friends group and volunteering
- Devil's Lake State Park map
- Quartzite and Northern Lights campground maps
- Ice Age campground map
- Group campground map
- North Shore picnic shelters map
- South Shore picnic shelters map
- Hunting and trapping map
- Lake map