Ancient lava flows, deep gorges and spectacular waterfalls make Copper Falls one of Wisconsin's most scenic parks. Log buildings built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s add to the park's charm. There is plenty to do; hiking, bicycling, picnicking, fishing and swimming. The North Country National Scenic Trail passes through Copper Falls State Park.
- Contact information
- For information, contact:
- Copper Falls State Park
36764 Copper Falls Road
Mellen, WI 54546
Wisconsin State Park System Copper Falls State Park
- Copper Falls is open year-round from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Northern Waterfalls at Wisconsin State Parks
Copper Falls is about two miles northeast of Mellen in Ashland County. Take State Highway 13 to the north side of Mellen and turn (northeast) on State Highway 169. Go about 1.8 miles. The park entrance will be on your left. Geographic coordinates are 46° 20' 51.8" N, 90° 38' 34.0" W.
- Vehicle admission sticker is required.
- Camping fees for the Wisconsin State Park System.
- Hunting and fishing licenses apply.
Concessions and rental equipment
The park's concession stand is open daily from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend and on weekends through mid-October. The concession stand offers a small gift shop along with soft drinks, light lunches, ice cream and ice. Sunday mornings are popular at the concession as a pancake breakfast is held.
Friends group and volunteering
- In 2007 the Friends of Copper Falls State Park was created and have been very active. A ski club started with the local school has been one of the group's most significant projects. Please inquire at the park headquarters for more information about the organization and how to get involved.
- State Park System volunteering opportunities