Buckhorn State Park is a paradise for water enthusiasts, hunters, hikers, campers and nature lovers. The park and two adjacent state wildlife areas cover more than 8,000-acres on a peninsula in the Castle Rock Flowage of the Wisconsin River and along the connecting Yellow River. Family and group campsites, unique cart-in camping, a cabin for people with disabilities, canoe trail and an accessible fishing pier, are all available at Buckhorn State Park.
- Contact information
- For information, contact:
- Buckhorn State Park
W8450 Buckhorn Park Ave.
Necedah WI 54646
Wisconsin State Park System Buckhorn State Park
- The park is open year-round from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Traveling north on Interstate Highway 90/94 from Madison, take Exit 69 (Mauston) and turn west (left) on State Highway 82. At the traffic signal, turn north (right) on State Highway 58. Go about 8.7 miles to the third intersection with County Highway G. Turn right and go about 3.5 miles; the park entrance will be on your right.
Traveling south on Interstate Highway 90/94 from La Crosse or Eau Claire, take Exit 143 (Tomah/Necedah) and turn east (left) on State Highway 21. Go about 22 miles to Necedah. In Necedah, turn right at the stop light onto State Highway 80. In about 4 miles, where Highway 80 angles to the right, go south on State Highway 58. Go about 3.1 miles to County Highway G. Turn east (left) and go about 3.5 miles; the park entrance will be on your right.
Geographic coordinates are 43° 56' 53.99" N, 90° 0' 15.1" W.
- Vehicle admission sticker is required.
- Camping fees for the Wisconsin State Park System.
- Hunting and fishing licenses apply.
Concessions and rental equipment
Canoe and kayak rentals are available in season from the Friends of Buckhorn State Park. Contact the park office for more information.
Friends group and volunteering
- The Friends of Buckhorn State Park work on numerous park projects and events throughout the year, including the annual photography contest, candlelight hikes and summer naturalist programs. Please contact the park office for more information or to join the Friends of Buckhorn.
- State Park System volunteering opportunities