a Wisconsin state park, forest, recreation area or trail.
Camping opportunities
in state parks and forests.
How to buy
a vehicle admission sticker or state trail pass.
Get Outdoors!
to attend a nature program or event with family and friends.
Contact information
For information, contact:
Richard Bong State Recreation Area
26313 Burlington Rd.
Kansasville, WI 53139
Trail information line
For current trail availability, call:

Richard Bong State Recreation Area Current conditions

Conditions as of Thursday, March 13, 2014:

Please be aware that Wolf Lake water levels are very low due to failure of the water control structure. Do to extremely low water, boating and fishing options are very limited. Repairs are planned for the fall of 2014. Please contact park staff for information on local area swimming, fishing and boating alternatives.


Trails are open to hikers. The Blue Trail is closed near the failed water control structure. Spring rains bring wet conditions to the hiking trails. Bring your waterproof boots along to enjoy the beauty of spring wildflowers. Pets are welcome on most trails but must be on a leash 8-feet or shorter at all times. Stop in the office to pick up a guide for your dog in the park.

All-terrain vehicle (ATV) and dirtbike trails

The ATV and dirtbike trails are closed for the months of March and April. Other months of the year, availability is determined on a daily basis. For the most current trail conditions, please call 262-878-5600.

Horseback riding

Trails are open depending on trail conditions, please call 262-878-5600 for availability. A state trail pass is required for riders ages 16 and older. If trails are closed, you may ride on the paved roads at Richard Bong State Recreation Area. Please ride responsibly to not degrade the trails. You are required to take any droppings and hay with you from the parking lots when you leave so the natural beauty of the park is not compromised.


Pets are permitted on most hiking trails, roads and in campgrounds. They are not permitted in picnic areas, buildings or shelters, at the playground, beach, at nature programs or on interpretive nature trails. Pets must be on a leash 8-feet or shorter at all times.

Public use in the Special Use Zone (SUZ)

Activities in the Special Use Zone (SUZ) area must be managed to insure compatibility. Please call ahead at least a week before your planned event for permission to use the area. Check with management if you are planning an activity (rocket launches, free flight airplanes, rubber band airplanes, etc.) in the special use zone.


Sunrise Campground sites 1-30 and the 200 loop are open. Group campsites are open. The shower buildings in the Sunrise 200 loop will open on April 4 and water at the dump station will be turned on about April 11, weather dependent. Individual campsites are snow-covered or wet. The 100 loop of the Sunrise campground will open on May 2. The Sunset Campground will open May 22.

Don't move firewood!

Don't move firewood!Due to the potential of carrying harmful tree pests and diseases, Wisconsin has restrictions for moving firewood.

Many ash trees have been cut in the park due to the discovery of the emerald ash borer.

Firewood can be purchased from local vendors. Maps are available at self registration stations.


The water level in Wolf Lake is low because of an emergency draw down. Fishing will be impaired, however plans for lake restoration are underway. A fishing license is required for all anglers 16 years of age and older.


Please check hunting regulations. All species with a hunting season may be hunted at this property. Hunting hours at Richard Bong may differ from the regulations. Call 262-878-5600 for hunting times and questions specific to Richard Bong State Recreation Area. No rifles or handguns are allowed for hunting, only shotguns, bows and muzzle loaders. A daily hunting permit and vehicle admission are needed to hunt on the property. Target shooting and sighting-in firearms are prohibited.

More information

Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Sunday and Monday hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

Annual vehicle admission stickers for 2014 are available for purchase and are valid for admission to all Wisconsin state parks until December 31, 2014.

Last revised: Thursday March 13 2014