- Public records
In addition to information on this Web page, you can also view some of Gogebic Taconite’s project materials at:
- Hurley Public Library, 405 5th Ave. N., Hurley, 715-561-5707; and
- Vaughn Public Library, 502 W. Main St., Ashland, 715-682-7060.
Gogebic Taconite, LLC, potential mining project Location: Iron and Ashland counties
The Gogebic Iron Range is an 80-mile long belt of distinctive Precambrian bedrock in northern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It stretches east to west, roughly from Lake Gogebic in Michigan to Lake Namekagon in Wisconsin.
The Penokee/Gogebic Deposit generally refers to a 21-mile long segment of the Gogebic Iron Range between the community of Upson and Mineral Lake in Wisconsin. The deposit contains 20-30 percent iron in the form of magnetite. Because the iron ore is of lower grade than the natural hematitic ores mined previously in northern Wisconsin, the ore must be concentrated and processed into taconite pellets prior to shipping to a steel mill.
Regulation of ferrous mining activity
Activities related to ferrous mining are subject to regulation by the DNR under Ch. 295, subchapter III, Wis. Stats. The regulatory framework was established in 2013 Wisconsin Act 1, which became effective on March 26, 2013. Specific phases of mining related activities regulated under this law include exploration (drilling), bulk sampling, mining and reclamation.
Gogebic Taconite, LLC, application process
Most of the surface and mineral rights for the land containing the deposit are currently owned by the LaPointe Iron Company and RGGS Land & Minerals, Ltd., which have optioned potential development of the deposit to Gogebic Taconite, LLC.
Gogebic is currently considering development along a four-mile stretch east of the community of Mellen. The area of interest straddles the boundary between Iron and Ashland counties and lies between Tyler Forks River to the east and Ballou Creek to the west.
If developed, the project would likely include an open pit mining operation, a plant site and waste disposal facilities.
Preapplication notification materials
Gogebic Taconite, LLC, submitted a mining permit preapplication notice on June 17, 2013.
Bulk sample plan
Bulk sample plan
Gogebic Taconite, LLC, submitted a bulk sample plan on June 17, 2013. The company submitted a revised bulk sample plan on November 25, 2013.
- Stormwater Permit Application for Bulk Sampling Activity - December 2, 2013
- Gogebic Taconite, LLC, Revised Bulk Sample Plan - November 25, 2013
- DNR Response to Gogebic Taconite, LLC Regarding Bulk Sample Plan Response - Aug. 13, 2013
- DNR notice of Aug. 15 public hearing and public comment period on Gogebic Taconite's proposed bulk sampling activity - Aug. 8, 2013
- Gogebic Taconite, LLC, Bulk Sample Plan Response to DNR Comments - July 28, 2013
- DNR Response to Gogebic Taconite, LLC Regarding Bulk Sample Plan - Necessary Approvals and Supplemental Information - July 2, 2013
- Gogebic Taconite, LLC, Bulk Sample Plan - June 17, 2013
Stormwater permit applications
Revised exploration license application materials
Gogebic Taconite, LLC, submitted revised exploration license application materials on May 16, 2013.
- DNR Renewal of Exploration License #41001 - June 28, 2013
- Gogebic Taconite, LLC, Exploration License Renewal Application - June 17, 2013
- DNR Stormwater Discharge Permit Application Response - June 4, 2013
- Gogebic Taconite, LLC, Notice of Intent to Drill - May 31, 2013
- Gogebic Taconite, LLC, Exploration License #41001 and Letter from DNR - May 30, 2013
- Response Letter from Gogebic Taconite, LLC, to May 24, 2013 Letter from DNR - May 29, 2013
- Letter from DNR to Gogebic Taconite, LLC, Requesting Clarifying Information on Exploration License Application - May 24, 2013
- DNR Acknowledgement of Gogebic Taconite, LLC, Exploration License Application Withdrawal and Submittal of Replacement Application - May 17, 2013
- Revised 2013 Exploration License Application
- Revised 2013 General Drilling Map
- Revised 2013 Exploration Site Map
- Revised 2013 Stormwater Permit Application - Ferrous Mining Exploration Activity
Withdrawn exploration license application materials
Gogebic Taconite, LLC, submitted exploration license application materials on May 9, 2013. The company withdrew the application request on May 16, 2013.
2011 Gogebic Taconite, LLC, application materials
The DNR issued Gogebic Taconite an exploration license in spring 2011 and performed a site inspection for the installation of eight boreholes in April 2011. The DNR also issued a storm water permit in June 2011. Drilling was scheduled for June 2011, but the company suspended all exploration activities and the boreholes were not completed.