- Making fishing better
- Contact information
- For information, contact:
- Fisheries Management
Early trout season 2012The early bird catches the...
Trout anglers, you've been dreaming about it since last year and it's finally here. The early catch-and-release trout season opens at 5 a.m. on March 3 and runs until midnight April 29.
Improving your early trout season experience
"Tried and true" trout waters
If you’re in the market for a new adventure, try some of these waters that DNR fish biologists, supervisors, technicians and hatchery personnel identify as their favorites for the early catch and release trout season.
Check out these other trout resources to make the most of your time on the water.
- Information on Trout and Salmon, including identification of the various species.
- Guide to Wisconsin Trout Fishing Regulations
- Wisconsin Trout Stream Maps
Arranged by county, this listing will help you find a prime stream to fish opening day.
- Public access to trout streams on public lands
This interactive guide shows where you'll find state public lands providing easy access to trout waters.
- Wisconsin Trout Stream Classification
Information about, and a listing of, the 10,000 miles of classified trout waters. Learn which streams have naturally reproducing trout populations, which are stocked to jump start naturally reproducing populations, and which are maintained entirely by stocking.
Natural Resources Magazine Articles
- Special Trout Regulations, Oct. 2007
- Spring cleaning a fishery, June 2007
- Little streams feed a big fishery, Dec. 2005
- Coulee Trout, Apr. 2005
- Restoring Life to a Watershed, Feb. 2002
- A Fishery with a Future, Aug. 2001
- Don't Breathe a Word, Aug. 2000
- Root River Steelhead, Aug. 1997
- Trout on the Rocks, June 1996