LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Piping Plover photo courtesy of Jack Bartholmai

The federally endangered Piping Plover. Photo courtesy of Jack Bartholmai.

Donate today
and support the community of caretakers.
about rare plants, animals, and natural communities.
a plant or non-game animal. [exit DNR]

Endangered resources permits and licenses

The Bureau of Natural Heritage Conservation issues several types of permits, authorizations and licenses for activities that involve rare and endangered species and habitats. There are different requirements and application procedures for each of these permits/licenses. Additional permits may be required by other DNR programs or other agencies depending on the nature of the project or activity.

Endangered species

Endangered and threatened species permit

Wisconsin's endangered species law allows the department to authorize the taking, exportation, transportation or possession of listed plant or animal species via an Endangered and Threatened Species Permit if the activity is for zoological, educational or scientific purposes, or for propagation in captivity for preservation purposes.


*Having trouble viewing this form in your internet browser? Save it to your desktop by right-clicking the link and then choosing "Save target as..." or "Save link as..." Then open the desktop file by right-clicking the icon and selecting "Open with," and then choose Adobe Reader. You can also try opening the form in a different browser, like Internet Explorer.

Annual report
Expiring Permits

Supplemental information describing work or activities conducted under this permit should be emailed separately to Mae Colcord or by mail to the address below.

Mae Colcord
Bureau of Natural Heritage Conservation
PO Box 7921
Madison WI 53707-7921

Incidental take

Incidental Take Permit and authorization

Incidental Take Permit and authorization authorize the taking of an endangered or threatened species if the taking is not for the purpose of, but will be only incidental to, the carrying out of an otherwise lawful activity.


Falconry permits authorize qualified individuals to practice falconry in Wisconsin.


Falconry requires a great deal of knowledge about raptor biology, care and hunting skills. It is not a sport for your part-time entertainment. Dedication is also necessary since you must be prepared to commit a minimum of two hours per day year-round to your bird(s) before attempting to become licensed.

Still interested? Then the next step is to read up on the sport. You can find information and a list of resources for further reading at the Wisconsin Falconers Association [exit DNR] and the North American Falconers Association [exit DNR]. You are also encouraged to talk and spend time with an experienced falconer.

Application procedures for Wisconsin residents

After you are thoroughly acquainted with the sport and are familiar with Wisconsin’s falconry regulations, Chapter NR 18 [exit DNR], you are ready to apply for the required permit. The steps are as follows.

  1. Examination
    Schedule an examination date through your local wildlife manager or conservation warden. To find out who your local warden or wildlife biologist is, you can use the DNR's online staff directory or contact your local DNR Service Center. The exam consists of 105 multiple choices questions. You must score 80 percent or better on the written exam before submitting your application.
  2. Locate a sponsor
    First time applicants are called apprentice class falconers. More experienced falconers are either general, with two to seven years of experience, or master class falconers with over seven years of experience. Apprentice class falconers must have a general or master class falconer as a sponsor at the time of application. A letter from your sponsor indicating that they will sponsor you must be included with your application. Contact the Wisconsin Falconers Association [exit DNR] for help in locating a sponsor.
  3. Facilities and equipment
    Standards for equipment are established by Chapter NR 18.07 [exit DNR]. You should prepare to meet those standards before submitting your application. Contact your local conservation warden or wildlife manager to schedule an inspection of your facilities and equipment. A copy of the facilities and equipment inspection report should be included with your application.
  4. Application
    Complete the state falconry permit application along with a check for $75 made payable to the Wisconsin DNR. Submit the application, inspection report, check and additional information as listed in the application to Stacy Rowe at the address below.
  5. Permit issuance
    After your application has been received and approved, you will receive the permit within 30 days.
  6. Raptor possession
    After your permit is received, you may obtain a raptor by trapping or gift as described in Chapter NR 18.10 and 18.12 [exit DNR].

Please note: If you plan to practice falconry using a listed species, you will also need to apply for and obtain an endangered and threatened species permit.

For more assistance and application submission, please contact:
Stacy Rowe
Bureau of Natural Heritage Conservation
PO Box 7921
Madison WI 53707-7921

Application for non-residents

Permit for non-Wisconsin resident falconers who are looking to trap falconry birds in Wisconsin.

Submit the application along with the $100 fee and a copy of your state’s falconry permit to:
Stacy Rowe
Bureau of Natural Heritage Conservation
PO Box 7921
Madison WI 53707-7921


Wild ginseng regulations

Wisconsin ginseng regulations require licenses for harvesting and buying/selling wild ginseng in the state.

For more assistance, please contact:
Char Robaidek

State Natural Areas

A permit is required for collecting and scientific research on State Natural Areas.

Application and permit for State Natural Areas

For more assistance, please contact:
Thomas Meyer
State Natural Areas program
PO Box 7921
Madison WI 53707

Other permits

Scientific Collectors Permit

Additional permits may be required by other DNR programs or other agencies depending on the nature of your project.

Scientific Collectors Permit or Research License Application and Authorization [PDF]
For use when collecting live fish, nests or the carcasses of wild animals for scientific purposes or when taking and possessing live wild animals—other than fish—from the wild for research purposes. For assistance, read "What do I need?" [PDF].

For wildlife-related (terrestrial) applications, mail the completed form to:
Mae Colcord
101 S Webster St
Madison, WI 53703
For fisheries-related applications, mail the completed form to:
Joe Bevington
101 S Webster St
Madison, WI 53703

Other permits

Seed collecting permit and application for DNR lands (1700-039) [PDF]
This application allows an individual to apply for a permit to collect seed from prairie and other natural communities on DNR land. Please read the DNR seed collecting guidelines [PDF] before printing and submitting your application.

Wildlife Rehabilitation License

Captive wild animals

Federal Endangered Species Permit [exit DNR]

You can find information about other DNR permits on the DNR Licenses, Permits and Registrations page, or by using the Wisconsin Permit Primer, which provides a step-by-step, question-and-answer tour of DNR regulatory programs for small businesses.

Last revised: Wednesday April 19 2017