- Contact information
- For information on this page, contact:
- Linda Hanefeld
Remediation & Redevelopment
Madison-Kipp Corporation Madison, Wisconsin
Groundwater and soils at certain locations on the Madison-Kipp Corporation (MKC) property in Madison are contaminated with chlorinated solvents. Investigations are continuing to determine the extent of contamination around the neighboring areas to the east of the MKC property at 201 Waubesa Street.
Wisconsin Department of Justice files lawsuit against
- WI DOJ News Release - Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen Files Complaint Against Madison-Kipp Corporation
- Complaint and summons
Site description & history
Madison-Kipp Corporation (MKC) has operated in the city since 1902. The original manufacturing facility is still in use as a factory for precision parts for automobiles and other vehicles. Located between Waubesa and Marquette Streets on Madison’s eastside, the plant is closely bordered to the east and west by single-family homes, and by the Goodman Community Center to the north.
Until 1989, chlorinated degreasing solvents were used at Madison-Kipp Corporation. This use resulted in contamination of soil and groundwater. In 1994, DNR issued a formal notice to Madison-Kipp that identified them as the responsible party and informed them of their responsibilities under the state spill law. Since then, DNR has provided regulatory oversight of Madison-Kipp's efforts to assess and clean up the contamination.
In 1995, further assessment revealed contaminated groundwater beneath MKC due to tetrachloroethylene (PCE). A 2002 discovery determined an area of soils on the east side of the facility contained elevated levels of PCE. Soil samples were collected from the backyards of three homes on the west side of Marquette Street. Though PCE was found in soils, the levels did not exceed direct-contact, health guidelines.
In 2006, MKC installed vapor probes in the same three homes where soils were tested, to determine whether PCE vapors were migrating through sub-surface soils and towards homes. Initial results did not detect PCE vapors, but more in-depth sampling found PCE vapors in the yards and near the three homes. In 2010, samples from beneath those homes found elevated PCE vapors. Sampling of indoor air found a trace amount of PCE in one home.
At different times from 1998 to 2005 MKC injected an oxidizing agent into affected soils on their property and neighboring property in an effort to breakdown and eliminate PCE. These efforts were successful in reducing PCE soil concentrations on site.
In spring 2011, MKC installed a sub-slab vapor mitigation system in the three homes, where testing had taken place. As a precaution, systems were also added to a home on the north side, and a home on the south side of the original three.
Sub-slab vapor mitigation systems effectively remove PCE vapors from beneath homes and prevent soil vapors from entering indoor air. They are the same type of equipment used to remove radon from homes. The system works by creating a negative pressure beneath the home, thereby eliminating vapors from entering the home from beneath the concrete slab that forms the basement floor.
In 2011, the DNR drafted a Scope of Work, outlining additional interim actions to be taken by Madison-Kipp. The Scope of Work addresses soil and groundwater contamination, as well as potential vapor intrusion.
As new investigation and other response action reports are received from MKC’s environmental consultant, DNR will direct the company on any additional necessary steps to protect public health and the environment.
The DNR, Public Health–Madison & Dane County, and Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) have reviewed the sampling data and determined that the primary route of exposure to residences is from contamination through vapor intrusion. Three homes next to Madison-Kipp Corporation had elevated levels of PCE beneath the basement concrete floor or sub-slab. Sampling of indoor air in the three homes found a trace of PCE in only one home. Breathing this level of PCE for many years is not known to cause adverse health effects, but does pose a slightly increased cancer risk.
Sub-slab mitigation systems are known to effectively remove PCE vapors from beneath the floors and prevent these vapors from reaching indoor air. With this in mind, systems were installed in five nearby homes determined to have risk for vapor intrusion.
Drinking water to area homes is provided by the Madison Water Utility and a nearby municipal well is not determined to be affected by this contamination.
- Vapor Intrusion Information – Learn more about vapor intrusion, its causes and remedies.
- Vapor Intrusion Near Madison Kipp Corporation – Fact Sheet from Wisconsin Department of Health Services
- Public Health Evaluation of Health Concerns Related to Madison Kipp Corporation – 2001 report from Public Health-Madison & Dane County in response to neighbors concerns about Madison-Kipp Corporation.
Community members listen to a DNR presentation at a 2011 public meeting regarding Madison-Kipp.
The DNR is working with state, local and private parties to keep the public informed of important findings, during ongoing environmental work at Madison-Kipp.
MKC investigation and cleanup neighborhood updates
- Neighborhood Update – 8/26/14
- Neighborhood Update – 8/25/14
- Neighborhood Update – 6/9/14
- Neighborhood Update – 4/8/14
- Neighborhood Update – 3/7/14
- Neighborhood Update – 1/23/14
- Neighborhood Update – 1/15/14
- Neighborhood Update – 12/20/13
- Neighborhood Update – 11/1/13
- Neighborhood Update – 6/21/13
- Neighborhood Update – 5/3/13
- Neighborhood Update – 3/21/13
- Neighborhood Update – 3/8/13
- Neighborhood Update – 12/6/12
- Neighborhood Update – 9/26/12
- Neighborhood Update – 8/15/12
- Neighborhood Update – 8/6/12
- Neighborhood Update – 7/24/12
- Neighborhood Update – 6/29/12
- Neighborhood Update – 6/27/12
- Neighborhood Update – 6/12/12
- Neighborhood Update – 6/5/12
- Neighborhood Update – 6/4/12
- Neighborhood Update – 6/1/12
- Neighborhood Update – 5/11/12
- Neighborhood Update – 5/4/12
- Neighborhood Update – 5/1/12
- Neighborhood Update – 4/30/12
- Neighborhood Update – 4/26/12
- Neighborhood Update – 4/24/12
- Neighborhood Update – 4/19/12
- Neighborhood Update – 4/12/12
- Neighborhood Update – 4/5/12
- Neighborhood Update – 3/19/12
- Frequently Asked Questions – 2/7/12
- Neighborhood Update – 12/19/11
- Neighborhood Update – 11/3/11
DNR staff will coordinate with the city of Madison and our other partners to host public information meetings. Meetings will be held to coincide with the release of important reports and technical findings, and otherwise on an as-needed basis.
- Stakeholders Guide to Vapor Intrusion: Presentation by Lenny Siegel (Center for Public Oversight)
- 05-07-12 Public Availablity Session
- 03-22 & 27-12 Public Availability Sessions (Open house to answer residents' questions one-on-one).
- 02-29-12 Public Meeting DNR Presentation
- 10-15-11 Public Meeting DNR Presentation
Select documents and reports will be made available for online download and viewing, as they are available. View these items in the "Documents" tab.
Public document repository
A repository of documents related to this cleanup is available at the reference desk of Madison Public Library’s Hawthorne Branch, 2707 East Washington Avenue, Madison, WI.
In the news
Find links to select local news articles about the investigation and cleanup.
- May 11, 2012
- April 23, 2012
- April 19, 2012
- April 19, 2012
- March 2, 2012
- March 1, 2012
- February 8, 2012
- January 20, 2012
DNR's on-line database
Use the RR Program’s Contaminated Lands Environmental Action Network (CLEAN) to learn more about contaminated sites. To look up Madison-Kipp Corporation, search “Madison Kipp” in either BRRTS on the Web or RR Sites Map.
Documents and maps
All of DNR's public documents pertaining to the Madison-Kipp cleanup and investigation are available for review, either on the DNR website, at the public document repository, or at the DNR South Central Region Offices in Fitchburg. To view documents at DNR offices, please contact project manager Mike Schmoller (608-275-3303).
- February 2012 - January 2013 SI Report Figures 5-1 to 5-20 - Arcadis
- February 2012 - January 2013 SI Report Figures 6-1 to 6-3- Arcadis
- Soil Vapor Probe Sampling Results 2009-2012 - Arcadis
- September 2012 Sub-Slab Vapor/Indoor Sampling Status - DNR
- September 2012 Update Soil Sampling Results (VOC) - DNR
- September 2012 Update Soil Sampling Results (PCB) - DNR
- September 2012 Update Soil Sampling Results (PAH) - DNR
- July 2012 Sub-Slab Vapor/Indoor Sampling Status [PDF] – DNR
- April through June 2012 Soil Sampling Exceedances (VOC & PAH) [PDF] – DNR
- April through June 2012 Soil Sampling Results (VOC) [PDF] – DNR
- April through June 2012 Soil Sampling Results (PAH) [PDF] – DNR
- April through June 2012 Soil Sampling Results (PCB) [PDF] – DNR
- June 29, 2012 Sub-slab Vapor/Indoor Sampling Results – DNR
- May 5, 2012 Sub-slab Vapor/Indoor Sampling Results – DNR
- April 2012 Soil Sample Testing Locations (PCB & VOC) – DNR
- April 30, 2012 Sub-slab Vapor/Indoor Sampling Results – DNR
- March 2012 Sub-slab Vapor/Indoor Air Sampling Results – DNR
- 2012 Proposed Indoor Air and Sub-Slab Sampling Locations – City of Madison
- 2010 Tetrachloroethylene (PCE) Isocontrous in Deep Groundwater Wells near Madison Kipp – City of Madison
- 2010 Tetrachloroethylene (PCE) Isocontrous in Shallow Water Table Wells – City of Madison
- DNR Approval Letter PAH Background Study - 3/7/14
- DNR Approval Letter ISCO Injection - 3/5/14
- DNR Review Letter for Workplans - 8/1/13
- DNR Review Letter for Site Investigation and Interim Actions Report, February 2012 - January 2013
- DNR Conditional Approval of Madison Kipp Off-Site PCB Workplan – 03/12/2013
- Review of Vapor Sampling Results for the Neighborhood Surrounding the Madison Kipp Corporation - 12/12
- DNR Approval of Madison Kipp PCB Workplan - 12/5/12
- DNR Additional Comments on Madison Kipp Comprehensive Contamination Investigation– 6/25/12
- DNR Conditional Approval of Madison Kipp Bedrock Characterization Workplan– 6/7/12
- DNR Conditional Approval of Madison Kipp PCB Investigation Workplan – 5/30/12
- DNR Letter to Madison Kipp Regarding Comprehensive Contamination Investigation – 5/11/12
- DNR Notice of Violation to Madison Kipp for PCB Contamination – 5/4/12
- DNR Letter to Madison Kipp Regarding PCB Contamination – 5/4/12
- Madison-Kipp Corporation Responsible Party Letter (PCB Contamination - 4/18/12)
- DNR Letter to Madison Mayor Paul Soglin (regarding contamination concerns at Madison Kipp)
- DNR Letter to Homeowners Adjacent to Madison Kipp (1/30/12)
- DNR Notice of Referral of Madison-Kipp to Wisconsin Department of Justice (10/10/11)
- Madison-Kipp Corporation Scope of Work (Draft – 10/3/11)
- Letter to Madison-Kipp Neighbors (12/21/99)
- Madison-Kipp Corporation Responsible Party Letter (7/18/94)
Public health documents
Environmental consultant documents, reports & workplans
- Arcadis - Evaluation of Plume Stability, Fate and Transport Modeling for PCE in Bedrock Groundwater (4/14)
- Arcadis - Groundwater Sampling Data (4/14)
- Arcadis - PCB Building Interior Investigation (4/14)
- Arcadis - Basis of Design for Proposed Groundwater Extraction and Treatment System (4/14)
- Arcadis -Soil Vapor Extraction (SVE) System Progress Report January -February 2014
- Arcadis - Site Investigation and Interim Actions Report February - December 2013
- Arcadis - Site Investigation and Interim Actions Report Tables February - December 2013
- Arcadis - PAH Background Summary (2/14)
- Arcadis - Indoor Air Sampling (02/14)
- Arcadis - PAH Evaluation (1/13)
- Test America Laboratories – 237 Waubesa Street Soil Sampling Results (12/13)
- Arcadis – Rain Garden Workplan (12/13)
- Arcadis - PAH Background Sampling Workplan (12/13)
- Arcadis - Addendum #2 to Site Investigation and Interim Actions Report February 2012 - January 2013 (9/13)
- Arcadis - Groundwater Remedial Action Strategy (10/13)
- Arcadis - PCB Activities May - August 2013
- Arcadis Indoor air Sampling Workplan (8/13)
- Arcadis - Northern Well Installations Workplan (8/13)
- Arcadis - PAH Background Sampling Workplan (8/13)
- Arcadis - Supplemental Workplan for PCB Building Subsurface Investigation - (8/13)
- Arcadis - Rain Garden Investigation and Remedial Strategy
- Arcadis - Addendum to Site Investigation and Interim Actions Report February 2012 – January 2013 (5/13)
- Arcadis - Site Investigation and Interim Actions Report February 2012 – January 2013
- Review of Vapor Sampling Results for the Neighborhood Surrounding the Madison Kipp Corporation (RR-931) (12/12)
- Arcadis - Soil Vapor Probe Sampling Results 2009-2012
- Arcadis - Soil Vapor Data Summary 2009-2012
- Arcadis - On-site PCB Investigation Report (2/13)
- Arcadis - ISCO Pilot Test Report (2/13)
- Arcadis - Madison Kipp Corporation Bi-Monthly Progress Report (2/13/13)
- Arcadis - PCB Workplan (12/12)
- Arcadis – Soil Sampling Results (9/26 Update)
- Residential Vapor Intrusion (PCE) Testing Results (7/12) [PDF]
- Arcadis – Soil Sampling Results (April through June)
- Arcadis – Madison Kipp Corporation Site Investigation Workplan (5/12)
- Arcadis – Madison Kipp Corporation Bi-Monthly Progress Report (5/9/12)
- Arcadis – PCB Workplan (5/12) & Workplan Appendix B
- Arcadis – Groundwater Sampling Results (4/12)
- Arcadis – Bedrock Characterization Workplan (5/2012)
- RJN Environmental Services, LLC – Soil Sampling Results – PCB & VOC (5/7/12)
- Arcadis – Soil Vapor Extraction Pilot Test Summary and Phase I System Design
- RJN Environmental Services, LLC – Soil Vapor Sampling Results (11/25/11)
- RJN Environmental Services, LLC – Response to Community Comments on Draft Scope of Work (10/14/11)
- RJN Environmental Services, LLC – Soil and Groundwater Sampling Report (7/19/11)
- RJN Environmental Services, LLC – Soil Vapor Sampling Locations and Data: 2005-2009
Madison Kipp Corporation Documents
- Madison-Kipp Response to DNR Regarding PCB Contamination – 5/9/12
- Madison-Kipp Response to DNR Regarding PCB Contamination – 4/27/12
- Madison-Kipp Corporation Notification for Hazardous Substance Discharge – 3/26/12
10-15-11 – Madison-Kipp Corporation public meeting
Formal public comments
Frequently asked questions
- Is my property affected by this environmental contamination?
Public Health-Madison & Dane County, DHS and DNR have worked to maintain an open dialogue with all property owners who are potentially at risk for exposure to contaminants, based upon current sampling data. If you live in the area and have concerns about health and safety please contact Public Health-Madison & Dane County.
- Is it safe to garden in my backyard if my home is adjacent to Madison-Kipp Corporation?
There is known soil contamination in shallow soils on at least three properties on South Marquette Street. Soils were sampled, and detected concentrations do not exceed established health-based guidelines. Direct contact with these soils poses no apparent public health hazard. However, the DNR has asked MKC to take action to remediate the soils on the three properties, and is requiring MKC to conduct additional testing on nearby properties to determine the extent of the problem.
- What are the next steps in the investigation and cleanup?
The DNR has completed a draft scope of work, which outlines interim remedial actions the Department is requiring from Madison-Kipp to address the current contamination. Results from these actions will be provided to the public. These actions are a step in the Department's ongoing efforts to address the health and environmental concerns at this site.
- Mike Schmoller
DNR, South Central Region
3911 Fish Hatchery Rd
Fitchburg WI 53711
- Dane County Public Health
- John Hausbeck
Public Health - Madison & Dane County
210 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Madison WI 53703
- State Department of Health Services
- Henry Nehls-Lowe
Wisconsin Department of Health Services
1 West Wilson St
Madison WI 53701
- City of Madison Water Utility
- Joseph Grande
City of Madison Water Utility
119 East Olin Ave
Madison WI 53713
- City of Madison Alderperson
- Ald. Marsha A. Rummel
Madison City Council – District 6
210 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Madison- WI 53703
- Madison Kipp Corporation
- Mark Meunier
Madison Kipp Corporation
201 Waubesa St
Madison WI 53704