The video and information below will help you with creating and using a WAMS (Wisconsin User) ID. If you cannot find the answer to your question or problem, please contact us.
Frequently asked questions
- What is the Switchboard?
The Switchboard is designed to be your DNR e-business home page. You can see all the on-line systems and facilities which you have access to in one place. Think of it like a banking website where you can access all your bank accounts, credit cards and loans just by logging in once.
- What is a WAMS ID?
A WAMS ID allows individuals to access many State of Wisconsin web applications using one ID and password. For example, a person can use their WAMS ID to report employer withholding or sales tax to the Dept. of Revenue or to report air emissions or wastewater reports to the DNR for a company.
Each WAMS ID is issued to an individual, not a group, business or municipality. The user ID and password is unique to you, no matter where you work, and is not to be shared with anyone. It is also tied to your individual email address so you should not enter a generic or shared email address.
If more than one person needs access to an on-line system, then each person should have their own WAMS ID. Many WAMS IDs can have access to the same facility and one WAMS ID can have access to many different facilities.
- I forgot my WAMS ID or password
After several incorrect password attempts, your WAMS account will become locked. If you can't remember your WAMS ID or password, there are two options to help you get back on-line:
- Please try this Account Recovery link first. You may enter either your WAMS ID or email address. You should not enter both. It will email you a link and then you will need to answer your secret question correctly.
- If you tried Account Recovery, but either do not receive the emailed link or you cannot remember the answer to your secret question then the WAMS Support Center can help you. Please use this Support Center form to enter your contact information (the required items are marked with an asterisk), then click the submit button on the bottom of the screen. Note that we have pre-filled some of the information to help route the message correctly. All you need to enter is your contact information.
- Why do I need my own email address?
For security reasons, your WAMS ID is tied to your individual email address. When resetting your password or approving documents, we may send an email that only you should receive. Shared or generic email accounts such as firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com should not be used as many people may have access to them and therefore could access your WAMS account. Never use another person's email address to sign up for a WAMS account.
If you do not have your own email address then please sign up for an email account with one of the many free providers such as Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.
- How do I create a WAMS ID?
Anyone can create a WAMS ID by completing this Self Registration form . Please only fill out the required fields indicated by the red asterisk. You do not need to complete the home address section. We suggest you make your WAMS ID, password and secret question/answer something you can easily remember.
You may get error messages after clicking the submit button. Here are some common errors and ways to correct them:
- If the error is mailing address related, please remove your address from the registration form and only fill in the required fields.
- If the user ID is already used by someone else, then you will need to choose a different one.
- If the email address is already used, then you may already have a WAMS ID or someone else previously used that email address. If you are positive no one should have used that email address before, please contact the Switchboard Help Desk at 608-267-3123 or by email at DNRSwitchboard@wisconsin.gov. Otherwise, you will need to use a different email address.
After submitting the self-registration, you should receive an email from WAMS@Wisconsin.gov with a web link to activate your WAMS ID.
- How do I activate my WAMS ID?
To make your newly created WAMS ID active, you must click on the emailed web link from WAMS@Wisconsin.gov. If you do not receive the email, it may have gone into your junk or spam email folder. Please check there prior to contacting us.
After you click on the email link, you will be asked to login in with your new WAMS ID and password. Once your WAMS ID is active, click on the "Previous Application" link to request access to DNR on-line systems.
You will have four days to activate your WAMS ID.
- How do I change my WAMS password, email address or secret question/answer?
You may change your WAMS account password or email address using "Profile Management" at the Wisconsin User ID web site. Please keep your email address and secret question/answer updated because they are needed to reset your password.
You may wish to save or print the sign-up help document to view as you walk through the process.
- Why do I need to request access?
We need to verify who you are, what you need to access and for which facility/company before you can use our on-line systems. We do this by asking for and checking your information as well as making you sign a statement stating the information is correct and you are authorized to access the system.
- How do I request access?
Once you have created your WAMS ID, you may request access to on-line systems by completing a Switchboard Registration form for each facility that you would like access to. You may also use this form to add roles to your current facility. You will know that your registration is complete after you are asked to print, sign, and mail a confirmation page.
- How do I enter my contact information?
Please enter the contact information such as mailing address, email and phone number that you normally use to do business with the DNR. This will be a work address for most people.
- How do I enter my facility/company information?
Please enter the facility name and location information. No matter how many facilities that you request access to, you only need one WAMS id. If you need access to more than one facility, you will need to fill out a separate form for each one. However, if you have numerous facilities or complicated situations please complete the registration process for one facility and send an e-mail to us with a list of additional facilities and roles for each.
- What is my Facility ID?
The facility id number or FID is a 9-digit DNR Facility Id number that is found on many correspondences. All facilities have a FID number; however, there are a few exceptions:
- Recycling Responsible Units should use their 5 digit DOR municipal code.
- Registrants for E-Cycling may enter their company's 9 digit Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN).
- Licensed Septage Businesses must enter their 1 to 4 digit Septage Business License number. (Note: This is NOT your Operator Certification number)
- If you are registering for the Asbestos Renovation and Demolition Notification System (ARDN) only, you may put your company name and address for the facility information and your zip code as the facility ID.
- How do I select which systems/roles I need?
You should have received some information/instructions either from DNR or your workplace regarding what you need access to. Please check those instructions for a list of electronic reporting systems/roles. However, you may choose any roles related to your responsibilities at the facility. On the form, you may click on "More Information" for a full description of each system/role.
- Why do I need to print, sign and mail the signature form?
The signed access request form guarantees your identity to us. We need this to comply with state and federal rules. If you do not return the signed form we must remove your access. We will attempt to contact you before removing your access.
If you forgot to print, sign and mail your form, please contact the Switchboard Help Desk at 608-267-3123 or by email at DNRSwitchboard@wisconsin.gov and we can email another copy to you that you may print out, sign and mail back to us.
- When will I get access to the on-line systems?
It may take a day or two to grant you access, if questions arise you will be contacted at the email you provided.
- Printable instructions/checklist
You may wish to save or print this help document to view as you walk through the process.
- I get a facility linkage error after I log in.
If it says that you are not connected to a facility after you log in, then we have not processed your access request yet. If you have not already, please click the request access button or if you have already done so please wait for a confirmation email from the program you are working with.
- I don't see the facility or on-line system after I log in.
If you successfully logged in but do not see all the facilities that you work for or you are missing roles please click the request access button. If you have already done this please wait for a confirmation email from the program you are working with.
- I am having problems using an on-line system.
If you can log into the Switchboard, but are having problems using one of our on-line systems, please contact the program you are working with.
- Who else has access?
Once you login to Switchboard, you may see who else has access to a company/facility using the "Review Facility Contacts" link.
- Contact information
- For information on the Switchboard, please contact: