- Contact information
- For information on a particular Fisheries Area, see the "Contacts/Partners" tab.
- For general information on Fisheries Areas, contact:
- DNR Customer Service
Toll Free 1-888-WDNRINFo
DNR Fisheries AreasRowan Creek Fishery Area
The Rowan Creek Fishery Area consists of wetlands, shrub vegetation, bottomland and upland forests. The primary water resource is Rowan Creek, which drains a 60 square mile area as it flows through a valley bordered by steep hillsides to Lake Wisconsin, where it joins the Wisconsin River and the Mississippi River System. The upper four miles of Rowan Creek is designated class 1 trout water and the lower eight miles is designated as class 2 trout water.
While the dominant species is brown trout, stream surveys have reported many other native fish such as brook trout, mottled sculpin, white sucker, American brook lamprey (a native, non-parasitic lamprey) brook stickleback, central mudminnow, black bullhead, and fathead minnow. Rowan creek is typically stocked with brown trout and rainbow trout.
Rowan Creek Fishery Area is a 651-acre property located 1 mile east of Poynette on US Hwy 51 and 2 miles west of Poynette on County Hwy CS in Columbia County.
Primary angling activities include fly fishing and angling via shore and wading.
Rowan Creek is primarily managed for trout.
The Natural Resources Board approved a new master plan in December 2012 for this property as well as 19 other state fish and wildlife properties and associated state natural areas. These properties are mostly within Columbia County, but portions lie within Dane, Marquette and Sauk counties.Columbia County Planning Group Master Plan
- Map A: Regional Locator
- Map B: County Map of Properties
- Map C Series: Pine Island Wildlife Area
- Map D Series: French Creek Wildlife Area
- Map E Series: Mud Lake Wildlife Area
- Map F Series: Lodi Marsh Wildlife Area
- Map G Series: Paradise Marsh Wildlife Area
- Map H Series: Peter Helland Wildlife Area
- Map I Series: Swan Lake Wildlife Area
- Map J Series: Grassy Lake Wildlife Area
- Map K Series: Jennings Creek Wildlife Area
- Map L Series: Public Hunting Grounds and Remnant Fishery Area
- Map M Series: Rocky Run Fishery Area and State Natural Area
- Map N Series: Rowan Creek and Hinkson Creek Fishery Areas
- Map O Series: Lodi Spring Creek Fishery Area