- Related links
- Boating in Wisconsin
- Fishing Wisconsin
- Hunting in Wisconsin
- Find Boat and Developed Shore Fishing Access Sites
- Don't move firewood
- Lower Wisconsin State Riverway Board
- Lower Wisconsin River Basin Aquatic Invasive Species Strategic Plan
- Cultural Landscape Legacies, Inc.
- Friends of the Lower Wisconsin Riverway
- Prairie du Sac water levels and flow rate
- Wisconsin Scenic Byway 60
- The Fox-Wisconsin Heritage Parkway
- Tread Lightly!
- Wisconsin tourism
- Contact information
- For information on the Lower Wisconsin State Riverway, contact:
Dept of Natural Resources
5808 County Highway C
Spring Green WI, 53588
Lower Wisconsin State RiverwayEndangered resources
The State Riverway protects a fantastic array of endangered, threatened and uncommon plant and animal species! Twenty Natural Areas cover over 6,000 acres provide an environment vital to the survival of several natural communities. State Natural Areas are established to protect examples of all types of biotic communities and other significant features native to the state...for education, research, and most importantly to secure long term protection of the state's genetic diversity for benefit of future generations.
The globally rare fame flower, Talinum rugospermum, is found in the valley. Other endangered or threatened plant species include pink milkwort, yellow giant hyssop, round-stemmed false foxglove, tubercled orchid, and wild quinine. Threatened wildlife include bald eagles and red-shouldered hawks. Other wildlife of special concern includes Cerulean warbler, bobolink, Arcadian flycatcher, Kentucky warbler and osprey.
Other endangered, threatened or special concern species include 13 types of fish, 10 mussels, 2 amphibians, and 7 reptiles. The Pecatonica River mayfly recently found in Grant County waters was thought to be extinct in Wisconsin!
In total, 62 species of endangered, threatened or special concern status exist within the State Riverway boundaries. Future protection and management will ensure we can all continue to enjoy unusual educational opportunities along the Wisconsin River!
Nearby State Natural Areas (SNA)
- Wyalusing Walnut Forest SNA
- Wyalusing Hardwood Forest SNA
- Adiantum Woods SNA
- Wauzeka Bottoms SNA
- Woodman Lake Sand Prairie And Dead Lake SNA
- Richwood Bottoms SNA
- Blue River Bluffs SNA
- Blue River Sand Barrens SNA
- Orion Mussel Bed SNA
- Avoca Prairie and Savanna SNA
- Gotham Jack Pine Barrens SNA
- Smith Slough And Sand Prairie SNA
- Bakken's Pond SNA
- Spring Green Preserve SNA
- Tower Hill Bottoms SNA
- Arena Pines and Sand Barrens SNA
- Mazomanie Bottoms SNA
- Ferry Bluff SNA
- Lodde's Mill Bluff SNA
- Mazomanie Oak Barrens SNA