- Related links
- Boating in Wisconsin
- Fishing Wisconsin
- Hunting in Wisconsin
- Find Boat and Developed Shore Fishing Access Sites
- Don't move firewood
- Lower Wisconsin State Riverway Board
- Lower Wisconsin River Basin Aquatic Invasive Species Strategic Plan
- Cultural Landscape Legacies, Inc.
- Friends of the Lower Wisconsin Riverway
- Prairie du Sac water levels and flow rate
- Wisconsin Scenic Byway 60
- The Fox-Wisconsin Heritage Parkway
- Tread Lightly!
- Wisconsin tourism
- Contact information
- For information on the Lower Wisconsin State Riverway, contact:
Dept of Natural Resources
5808 County Highway C
Spring Green WI, 53588
Lower Wisconsin State RiverwayBoating / canoeing
State boating regulations apply on the Wisconsin River. Here are few of the highlights:
- A personal floatation device (life jacket) is required for every person on board a boat, motorized and non-motorized. The PFD must be a type 1, 2, or 3 (wearable type not a seat cushion), must be US Coast Guard approved and be of the correct size for the intended wearer. It is required that anyone on a personal watercraft WEAR their PFD. Those in other boats are not required to wear the PFD but it must be readily accessible.
- If you swim in the river, wearing your PFD is also recommended due to the drop offs and sometimes swift current.
- Lighting is required sunset to sunrise. A light must be carried and shown in time to avoid collisions on non-motorized boats. Bow and stern lights are required on motorized boats - see regulations for details on motorized boats.
- Registration is required on motorized boats and sailboats over 12 feet.
- Operating a motorboat while under the influence of intoxicants is prohibited.
Canoe Routes and Trails
|Popular Canoe Routes|
|Sauk City to Arena||11.0||3½ hours|
|Arena to Spring Green||10.0||3 hours|
|Spring Green to Muscoda||22.0||6 hours|
|Muscoda to Blue River||8.0||2 hours|
|Blue River to Boscobel||10.0||3 hours|
|Boscobel to Bridgeport||23.0||6 hours|
Major Public Access Points
- Veterans Memorial Park (Prairie du Sac)
- Town of Mazomanie
- Highway 14 Bridge
- Peck's Landing
- Otter Creek
- McKenna Park (Long Lake)
- Buena Vista Boat Landing (Gotham)
- Avoca Lake park (questionable access to river)
- Riverside Park (Muscoda)
- Muscoda (west side of Hwy. 80)
- Blue River Landing
- Boscobel Landings
- Woodman Lake
- Wauzeka Public Landing
- Millville Landing
- Bedford Slough and Bridgeport
- Wyalusing State Park
* In addition to the access points listed above, several other private and older access points (not maintained or lost to erosion) do exist along the river.