Managed Forest Law and Forest Crop LawForest tax rates
Governor Walker has recently signed 2015 Wisconsin Act 358 into law. This new law makes numerous changes to the Managed Forest Law (MFL) and some changes to the Forest Crop Law (FCL). Until this page can be updated, some of the information is incorrect. Please contact your local DNR Forester for more information on the changes to MFL and FCL and how it may affect you.
Landowners with land in the Managed Forest Law (MFL) and Forest Crop Law (FCL) programs pay MFL and FCL tax rates in lieu of regular property tax rates. The following rates are effective from 2013 through 2017.
MFL tax rates (per acre)
Land entered before 2005 (1987 - 2004)
- Open land (acreage share tax): $0.79
- Closed land (acreage share tax plus $1.08 closed acreage fee): $1.87
Land entered after 2004 (2005 and later)
- Open land (acreage share tax*): $2.14
- Closed land (acreage share tax plus $8.54 closed acreage fee**): $10.68
FCL tax rates (per acre)
- Before 1972: $0.10 (does not change)
- After 1972: $2.52 (effective through 2017)
FCL and MFL Limited Application Tax Rates
The Department will continue to collect MFL withdrawal taxes in some limited circumstances, and in enforcement situations for determining penalty amounts for cutting merchantable timber in violation of s. 77.86 (and s. 77.06) Wis. Stats.
The following rates are effective November 1, 2016 to October 31, 2017. The rates are listed by product, species, and zone.