- Contact Information
- Chris Klahn
Cooperative Fire Specialist
Fire department wildland training for cooperative areas
The DNR's Division of Forestry has instructors available to teach wildland fire training to fire departments in cooperative fire protection areas of Wisconsin.
If your fire department is interested in this free wildland fire training, please contact Chris Klahn, Cooperative Fire Specialist, at 608-297-2214 to be scheduled for this valuable training.
Introduction to wildland fire suppression for Wisconsin fire departments
This eight-hour training class is designed to give Wisconsin firefighters a background in wildland fire suppression and improve the efficiency and safety of fire department personnel operating on wildland fires.
- Unit 1 – Introduction: describes the background and rationale for this training for fire departments.
- Unit 2 – Wisconsin Forest Fire Laws: describes and explains the Wisconsin state statutes that apply to wildland fires.
- Unit 3 – Fire Behavior: describes how and why wildland fires burn given weather and fuel conditions.
- Unit 4 – Wildland Fire Size Up: describes the initial size up procedure and radio communications.
- Unit 5 – Wildland Fire Suppression Tactics: describe suppression tactics and techniques used in Wisconsin.
- Unit 6 – Mop Up : describes tactics and techniques to secure a wildland fire from escaping after control.
- Unit 7 – Incident Command System: describes an overview of the Incident Command System used by Wisconsin fire departments.
- Unit 8 – Wildland Fire Safety: describes safe operating guidelines on wildland fires and includes a case study of a Wisconsin firefighter fatality.
Structural protection for Wisconsin fire departments
This three-hour training class is designed to give Wisconsin firefighters a background in structural protection during wildland fire suppression and to improve the efficiency and safety of fire department personnel operating on wildland urban interface (WUI) fires.
- Unit 1 – Interface Awareness: describes the definition, background and rationale for structural protection training for fire departments.
- Unit 2 – Size Up: describes the Firewise considerations, pre-incident and initial size up procedures and radio communications during a WUI fire.
- Unit 3 – Triage: describes how and why of structural protection priorities. Explains the sorting of structures for protection strategies during WUI fires.
- Unit 4 – Tactics: describes multiple structural protection tactics and techniques used in Wisconsin.
- Unit 5 – WUI Fire Safety: describes safe operating guidelines and watch out situations on WUI fires during structural protection operations.
- Unit 6 – Lessons Learned: describes a case study (the Cottonville fire in 2005) and how to conduct a Wisconsin WUI fire structural protection operation.