Current burning permit restrictions and fire danger
Click a county below to see burning restrictions in effect, call 1-888-WIS-BURN (947-2876) or apply for a burning permit. Restrictions are updated daily after 11 a.m.
Good morning, it is currently 7:09:35 AM on 4/21/2014.
Reminder! Be sure to have your written and signed annual burning permit available while burning!
These signs display the current fire danger rating at many Ranger Stations throughout the state.
- Subscribe to receive Burn Permits & Fire Danger News
- Smokey's Rules for Debris Burning
- Burning Permits - It's Your Responsibility
How forest fire "danger" is measured
The rating shown on Ranger Station signs refers to the burning condition list below:
- Extreme - Explosive conditions—worst possible danger. Burning strongly not recommended.
- Very High - Very dangerous conditions—fires very difficult to control. Burning not recommended.
- High - Dangerous conditions—fires difficult to control. Burning not recommended.
- Moderate - Fires spread quickly. Burn with extreme caution.
- Low - Fires spread slowly—safest time to burn.