Wisconsin’s Source Water Assessment Program
Source water assessments are documents produced by DNR staff during the period between 1999 and 2003 intended to provide basic information to public water suppliers regarding:
- where their drinking water comes from
- the degree to which it may be impacted by potential sources of contamination.
A full assessment includes the following:
- A brief description of Wisconsin’s Source Water Assessment Program
- A map of the system’s source water assessment area(s) and the potential contaminant sources within those area(s)
- A susceptibility determination based on presence of potential contaminant sources and other factors such as well construction, intake location, and geology
- Recommendations for source water protection
All States are required to complete source water assessments for both groundwater and surface water supplied systems as a result of the 1996 Amendments to the Safe Drinking Water Act.
- For more information, contact:
- Jeff Helmuth
101 South Webster St
PO BOX 7921
Madison WI 53707
phone: 608-266-5234 fax: 608-267-7650