Richfield Dairy WPDES permit: Wisconsin Environmental Policy Act (WEPA) compliance
In December 2013 the Wisconsin Court of Appeals ruled that the record in the case does not demonstrate that the department conducted a proper inquiry into the cumulative effects of the two proposed high capacity wells sufficient to comply with WEPA (Ch. NR 150, Wis. Adm. Code). The Court of Appeals directed the Circuit Court to remand the matter to the department to consider the cumulative effects of the proposed high capacity wells in conjunction with other past, present and reasonably anticipated high capacity wells in the area. The department has completed an environmental impact statement (EIS) for the project.
Modified high capacity well approval and WPDES permit
The modified high capacity well approval, issued in March 2013, was the subject of a contested case hearing. The hearing was held on June 24-27 and December 16-20, 2013. The wastewater (WPDES) permit was the subject of a contested case hearing held on June 28 and August 19-22, 2013. Both the high capacity well approval and WPDES permit were approved, with modifications, by an administrative law judge (ALJ) on September 3, 2014. A second modified high capacity well approval was issued on March 12, 2015, and the department will issue a modified WPDES permit, as ordered by the ALJ.
- Original High capacity well approval
- Modified High Capacity Well Approval
- Second modified conditional high capacity well approval for two potable wells to be located in the Town of Richfield, Adams County
Final Environmental Impact Statement
The Final EIS addresses concerns raised in a December 2013 court decision specifically directing the department to consider the environmental effects of the two proposed Richfield Dairy high capacity wells, in conjunction with other high capacity wells in the region.
- Decision/determination on Wisconsin Environmental Policy Act (WEPA) compliance
- Richfield Dairy Environmental Impact Statement, April 23, 2015
- Response to comments for draft Environmental Impact Statement
Documentation related to Richfield Dairy
- Environmental Assessment
- Notice of final determination for WPDES permit
- Permit changes and response to comments
- Final WPDES permit
- Supplemental Environmental Assessment Comment Response Document
- Appendix of Comments on the Supplemental Environmental Assessment
- High capacity well supplemental environmental assessment
- SSPA groundwater modeling results and evaluation
- FEIS Exhibits