Waste, and how we choose to handle it, affects the world's environment-everything that surrounds us-including the air, water, land, plants and man-made things. We need to live in a healthy environment, so that is why waste management is so important. The waste we create has to be carefully controlled to ensure that it does not harm the environment and our health. Recycling items such as aluminum, plastics, paper, used electronics, and food waste is a way we can help with waste management. Keeping these items inside the recycling loop keeps them out of landfills and reduces pollution!
The K-8 Keepin' it in the Loop recycling activity guide can help you and your students learn more about recycling and waste management. You can either download the guide below or receive a printed activity guide by contacting Elisabeth Olson at (608) 264-9258.
The links below are a series of .pdf files that you can download and print to make a comprehensive set of activities for students. To view these documents, you will need to have Adobe's Acrobat Reader. You can download it from the Adobe web site at Adobe.com.
Direct students to visit EEK! for additional information on recycling.
DOWNLOAD the K-8 Keepin' it in the Loop Activity Guide
Entire guide: Keepin' it in the Loop (PDF, 16 MB)
- Table of Contents & Introduction (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- Trash Talk Glossary (PDF, 525K)
- It's Your Trash
- Follow That Plastic Bottle (PDF, 805K)
- Race To Recycle (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Making A Model Landfill (PDF, 1MB)
- Small Bag Bust (PDF, 509K)
- Follow The Flow Maze (PDF, 372K)
- Trash It Or Recycle It (PDF, 378K)
- Where Do Things Come From (PDF, 378K)
- Recycle, Reduce, Reuse (PDF, 469K)
- Life Cycle of Electronics (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Plastics Everywhere (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Out of Sight-Out of Mind (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Mini Landfill (PDF, 621K)
- Classroom Composting (PDF, 833K)
- Packaging: Is it a Waste? (4 activities) (PDF, 1841K)
- Resources (PDF, 393K)
Back to Educational Resources.