Ways You Can Help Turtles and Lizards
You and your family can help protect Wisconsin's turtles and lizards. Here's how.
- Leave fallen trees and woody debris along the edges of prairies and in prairie open areas. As leaves and trees decompose they provide lizards with valuable nesting and feeding areas.
- Leave fallen trees in place along shorelines so turtles have places to bask in the sun.
- Be on the lookout for turtles crossing roadways, especially during the main turtle nesting season in June.
- Leave wild animals in the wild! Don't try to bring a turtle or lizard home as a pet.
- And, don't let your dog or cat run free where they can kill wildlife. Keep them on a leash.