Now that's a big sturgeon!
Check out this sturgeon netted by DNR fisheries biologists near the Shawano Dam on April 10, 2012. Each spring when the sturgeon head up the Wolf River from the Lake Winnebago system to spawn, Department of Natural Resources biologists net fish to measure them. This is the biggest fish ever recorded in the spring sturgeon surveys which began in 1950. After measuring her, she was returned to the Wolf River to continue her journey.
Fish information: br>
Total Length: 87.5 inches
Weight (estimated): 240 pounds
Estimated Age: 125!
Here are some of the events that have occurred during this fish’s lifetime: br>
- 1887 - Newly hatched lake sturgeon. Grover Cleveland is US President and Buffalo Bill Cody'’s Wild West Show opens in London.
- 1914 - Fish is 27 and makes her first run up the Wolf River to spawn.
- 1932 - Fish is 45 and Amelia Earhart becomes the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1945 - The fish makes its 8th run up the wolf river to spawn at the age of 58. A few weeks after this fish spawned for the 8th time, World War II ends in Europe.
- 1969 - The fish is 82 and Neil Armstrong walks on the moon.
- 2012 - At 125 years old, this fish is a record.
Read more about sturgeon.