- Contact information
- For more information about news and media, contact:
- Bill Cosh
Director of Communications
21 Work*Play*Earth Day events scheduled for 2014
Weekly News article published: April 8, 2014 by the Central Office
MADISON - People can celebrate Earth Day while helping out and enjoying Wisconsin state park, forest, trail and wildlife properties during the sixth annual Work*Play*Earth Day. Volunteer events are sponsored by the Friends of Wisconsin State Parks and Department of Natural Resources properties. The events will be held April 19, 26 and May 3, 2014.
Volunteers can join DNR staff, local friends group members, and people from nearby communities to help repair and enhance park, forest and trail properties. Activities include planting trees and shrubs, installing benches, removing invasive plants, painting picnic tables and other structures, raking and cleaning up leaves and picking up litter. Refreshments will be provided and Friends of Wisconsin State Parks will also provide appreciation gifts for volunteers.
"When the work is done, volunteers join staff in hiking or biking park trails, visiting nature centers or interpretive displays, or enjoying any of the recreational opportunities available at the different properties," said Patty Loosen, friends coordinator for the state parks program.
Loosen says during the 2013 Work *Play* Earth Day events, more than 700 volunteers donated more than 2,500 hours cleaning up and maintaining parks and trails, planting more than 500 trees, doing invasive species work and building bird houses, planting native plants and repairing picnic tables.
About 30 people showed up for Mirror Lake State Park's Work*Play*Earth Day 2013 event despite cold rain. Here volunteers painted and assembled picnic chairs.
Photo courtesy of Friends of Mirror Lake State Park
Volunteers should check with the park, forest, trail or recreation area where they would like to participate for event start times and details. Volunteers should wear work boots or athletic shoes, long pants and bring their own work gloves. Come and be part of the 2014 Work*Play*Earth Day events at these Wisconsin state properties!
Saturday - April 19, 2014
- Big Foot Beach State Park - Lake Geneva - 262-248-2528
- Kohler-Andrae State Park - Sheboygan - 920-451-4080
- Mirror Lake State Park - Baraboo - 608-254-2333
- Newport State Park - Ellison Bay - 920-854-2500
- Stower Seven Lakes State Trail - Amery - 715-485-9294
Saturday - April 26, 2014
- Buckhorn State Park - Necedah - 608-565-2789
- Hank Aaron State Trail - Milwaukee - 414-263-8559
- Harrington Beach State Park - Belgium - 262-285-3015
- High Cliff State Park - Sherwood - 920-989-1106
- Kettle Moraine State Forest - Northern Unit - Campbellsport - 262-626-2116
- Kettle Moraine State Forest - Southern Unit - Eagle - 262-594-6200
- Lakeshore State Park - Milwaukee - 414-274-4280
- Lapham Peak State Forest - Delafield - 262-646-3025
- Perrot State Park - Trempealeau - 608-534-6409
- Pike Lake State Forest - Hartford - 262-670-3400
- Richard Bong State Recreation Area - Kansasville- 262-878-5600
- Whitefish Dunes State Park - Sturgeon Bay - 920-823-2400
Saturday - May 3, 2014
- Devil's Lake State Park - Baraboo - 608-356-8301
- Hartman Creek State Park - Waupaca - 715-258-2372
- Merrick State Park - Fountain City - 608-687-4936
- Roche-A-Cri State Park - Friendship - 608-339-6881
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Patricia Loosen - Statewide Friends Group Coordinator 608-264-8994 or Patricia.Loosen@wisconsin.gov