Free fun details
Wisconsin's great outdoors is always the ticket to fun with family and friends. On June 1 and 2 it gets even better -- it's free for Wisconsin residents and visitors!
- Free entry to state parks and forests on Sunday, June 2 only
- Free fishing June 1,2
- Free DNR trails June 1,2
- Free ATV/UTV riding June 1,2 on public trails open to such uses
Where to go
Family-Friendly Trail Map
Try these flatter, shorter trails with lots to look at and experience, including tunnels and waterfalls at some. For those trails in state parks, a vehicle admission fee is required to enter parks on Saturday, June 1, and is waived June 2.
Itís a lot easier to enjoy fishing if the kids are having fun.
Adaptive equipment, accessible cabins and lists of accessible boat launches and fishing piers are just a few of the ways we're trying to open the outdoors to everyone.
More places to go
Striking out on your own and finding new places to go is half the fun. Explore outdoors!
Plan your Free Fun Weekend
Planning your adventure is as easy as 1-2-3 with our online tools.
- Use Explore Outdoors to select the activities you want to do and where you want to go. Or find a park, forest, recreation area or trail and then explore your options for activities.
- Decide if you want to sleep under the stars or wake up to modern conveniences.
- If you want to stay over night at a state park or forest, reserve a campsite . Entry to state parks, forests and recreation areas is free June 2 but camping and other fees apply.
- Visit www.travelwisconsin.com for other accomodations.
4-pack of fun
June 1-2 is the perfect weekend to try a new outdoors activity or return to one you haven't tried in a long time. Challenge yourself and try them all!
- On June 1 & 2 Wisconsin residents and visitors can fish anywhere for free in Wisconsin. No license is needed -- this includes inland trout and Great Lakes trout and salmon fishing.
- New to fishing or just need to brush up on your casting? Attend one of the free fishing clinics being hosted around the state.
- Free fishing equipment for loan at 50 state parks, DNR offices, and partner organizations.
- Fishing rules such as limits, size and species of fish that you can keep do apply during free fishing weekend.
Free Trails June 1-2
- On June 1 & 2, all state trail pass fees on all DNR-owned properties are waived.
- Cooperatively-run state trails also may waive fees.
State Parks Open House Day June 2
- On June 2, all state park vehicle admission fees on all DNR-owned properties are waived.
- All state trail pass fees on all DNR-owned properties are waived.
- Cooperatively-run state trails also may waive fees on this day.
Ride free ATV/UTV weekend June 1-2
- On June 1 & 2, ATV/UTV owners can ride free; you do not need to have your machine registered in Wisconsin. Nonresident ATV/UTV owners do not need to have a trail pass on these days. Enjoy the free ride!
- All other rules apply -- safety education certification is required for all UTV and ATV operators who were born on or after Jan. 1, 1988.
- Find places to ride on the Wisconsin ATV Association website and travelwisconsin.com.
- Find organized rides and events on the Wisconsin ATV Association's Registration-Free Weekend webpage.