Chef Tim is Conservation Warden Lawhern, who also is administrator of the Bureau of Enforcement and Science. Lawhern writes this monthly culinary feature from the recipe books in his home kitchen.
Recipes and tips
- Don't Freeze that Venison - Can it!
- Chef Tim's BBQ Sauces: Basic brings out the best
- Chef Timís venison burger recipe
- Ka-Boom, then Ka-Bob! Great way to enjoy venison
- A favorite braised recipe worthy of fine wine
- Hereís how to start aging your venison
- Veggie recipes to accent your next wild game menu
Hunt serves up local, sustainable food
Wisconsin's 9-day gun-deer season offers a great way to put good, locally-sourced, sustainable food on the table. Hunting gives you a direct connection to the food you eat. Nutrition-wise, it doesn't get much better than venison! Low-fat, high protein, organic, free-range, and local. Did we say low-carb?
Most importantly for the friends and family you share your meal with, venison is versatile and delicious.
Enter our photo contest>
Share your photos! Starting November 17, 2012, you can enter one photo a day which shows what you like best about Wisconsin's hunting tradition! It can be a photo of friends, family, the great outdoors, or the prize you took home. Just click on the "photo contest" box on the top of our Facebook page to enter! You rack up bonuses when your Facebook friends post their photos and vote! You could win a 3-year subscription to Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine! Contest ends Nov. 28th. Good luck!