- Contact information
- For more information about news and media, contact:
- Bill Cosh
Director of Communications
Candlelight skis and hikes in Wisconsin state parks kick off Jan. 4
Weekly News article published: December 23, 2013 by the Central Office
EDITOR'S ADVISORY: This news release has been updated with the addition of a candlelight events at Council Grounds State Park Jan. 24, Point Beach State Forest, Jan. 25, the Red Cedar State Trail on Jan. 31, Peninsula State Park on Feb. 31 and the Flambeau River State Forest on Feb. 8.
MADISON - People looking for an opportunity to break in their new cross-country skis or snowshoes or just getting out on their tried-and-true equipment will have plenty of opportunities this winter with 30 candlelight skis, hikes or snowshoes scheduled at Wisconsin state parks and other Department of Natural Resources properties.
Candlelight events kick of Jan. 4, 2014 with ski, hikes or snowshoes scheduled for Blue Mound, Harrington Beach, and Mirror Lake state parks. Events run through mid-February.
Once again this year, early snows have blanketed the entire state, so most state parks and forests with ski trails have been able to groom and track the trails. While most of the events include options for skiing and hiking or snowshoeing, some trails are skiing only and some are hiking or snowshoeing only.
Many of the events held throughout the winter include additional activities such as bonfires, and hot chocolate and other refreshments may be available for sale. Some events offer grills for cooking food or roasting marshmallows. Some properties have warming shelters that are open for the events. Many of the events are organized by the friends groups of the parks, which provide much of the volunteer labor for the events.
Candlelight events have become some of the most popular winter activities at Wisconsin state park properties. More than 1,000 people turned out for a candlelight event at Blue Mound State Park last January, when the park also dedicated its new "Friends Shelter;" more than 450 hikers and snowshoers showed up for the Rib Mountain candlelight hike; and a record 1,500 skier, hikers and snowshoers turned out for the candlelight event at the Pike Lake Unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest.
Events may be cancelled in case of inclement weather or due to poor trail conditions - remember to check before you go.
2014 Candlelight skis, hikes and snowshoes at
For details of each event, search the DNR website for keyword "candlelight."
Saturday, January 4, 2014
- Blue Mound State Park, Blue Mounds, Candlelight ski, hike and snowshoe. 608-437-5711
- Harrington Beach State Park, Candlelight ski and hike. Belgium, 262-285-3015 -
- Mirror Lake State Park, Lake Delton, Candlelight Ski, Hike and Snowshoe 608-254-2333
Saturday, January 11, 2014
- Kettle Moraine State Forest-Lapham Peak Unit, Delafield, Candlelight ski and hike 262-646-3025
- Kohler-Andrae State Park, Sheboygan, Candlelight ski and hike. 920-451-4080
- Lake Kegonsa State Park, Stoughton, Candlelight ski. 608-873-9695
- Wildcat Mountain State Park, Ontario, Torchlight ski, hike or snowshoe. 608-337-4775
Saturday, January 18, 2014
- Horicon Marsh Education and Visitor Center, Horicon, Candlelight snowshoe or hike, 920-387-7860
Friday January 24
- Council Grounds State park, Merrill, 715 536-8773
Saturday, January 25
- Governor Dodge State Park, Dodgeville, 15th Annual Candlelight ski, hike or snowshoe.608-935-2315
- Hartman Creek State Park, Waupaca, Candlelight ski, hike or snowshoe.715-258-2372 -
- Kettle Moraine State Forest-Southern Unit, Eagle, Candlelight ski or hike 262-594-6200
- Lake Wissota State Park, Chippewa Falls, Candlelight ski, hike or snowshoe. 715-382-4574
- Point Beach State Forest, Two Rivers, Candlelight ski or hike, 920-794-7480
- Whitefish Dunes State Park, Sturgeon Bay, Candlelight ski, hike or snowshoe. 920-823-2400
Friday, January 31
- Red Cedar State Trai, Menomonie, 715-232-1242
Saturday, February 1, 2014
- Big Foot Beach State Park, Lake Geneva. Candlelight Hike or Snowshoe . 262-248-2528
- Blue Mound State Park, Blue Mounds. Candlelight ski, hike or snowshoe. 608-437-5711
- High Cliff State Park, Sherwood, Candlelight Ski or Hike 920-989-1106
- Harrington Beach State Park, Belgium. Candlelight ski and hike. 262-285-3015 -
- Kettle Moraine State Forest-Northern Unit, Campbellsport. Zillmer candlelight ski or hike. 920-533-8322
- Mirror Lake State Park, Lake Delton. Candlelight ski, hike or snowshoe. 608-254-2333
- Peninsula State Park, Fish Creek, 920-868-3258
Saturday, February 8, 2014
- Brule River State Forest, Brule. Afterhours candlelight ski . 715-372-5678
- Copper Falls State Park, Mellen. Candlelight ski and snowshoe. 715-274-5123
- Flambeau River State Forest, Winter. Candlelight ski, hike or snowshoe. 715-332-5271 ext. 105
- Interstate State Park, St Croix Falls. Candlelight ski, hike or snowshoe. 715-483-3747
- Kettle Moraine State Forest-Lapham Peak Unit, Delafield. Candlelight ski or hike. 262-646-3025
- Peshtigo River State Forest, Crivitz. Candlelight ski or hike. 715-757-3965
- Pike Lake Unit - Kettle Moraine State Forest, Hartford. 25th annual candlelight ski, hike or snowshoe. 262-670-3400
Saturday, February 15, 2014
- Kohler-Andrae State Park, Sheboygan. Valentine candlelight ski or hike. 920-451-4080
- Governor Thompson State Park, Crivitz. Candlelight ski or hike. 715-757-3979
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Paul Holtan, Wisconsin state parks, forests, trails recreation public affairs manager 608-267-7517