- Contact information
- For more information about news and media, contact:
- Bill Cosh
Director of Communications
20th annual Kids' Ice Fishing Clinics set for Saturday, February 5
News Release Published: January 26, 2011 by the Southeast Region
Contact(s): Matt Coffaro, DNR Urban Fish Biologist, 414-263-8614
MILWAUKEE – Kids 15-years-old and younger can discover the fun of ice fishing at the 20th annual Kids’ Ice Fishing Clinics on Saturday, February 5, at park ponds and lagoons in Milwaukee and Waukesha counties.
The free clinics will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Participants receive instruction on the proper use of equipment and techniques, knot tying, safety and much more. The clinics last 45 minutes and begin every hour on the hour starting at 9:00 a.m., with the last one starting at 2:00 p.m. If the weather and ice conditions allow, kids will be able to fish after receiving the classroom instruction.
“These clinics are an excellent way to introduce youngsters to the sport of fishing and a perfect opportunity for families that want to enjoy some of the outdoor recreational activities that Wisconsin has to offer,” says Matt Coffaro, Department of Natural Resources Urban Fish Biologist. “It’s the dedication of volunteers from the local fishing clubs that make it all work.”
The clinics represent a cooperative effort by the Wisconsin Council of Sport Fishing Organizations, Milwaukee County Parks, the Milwaukee County House of Correction Fish Hatchery, and the Department of Natural Resources.
No pre-registration is necessary for the clinics. Equipment and snacks will be provided and it’s all free; just dress warm. As in past years, the classroom instruction will occur regardless of weather and ice conditions on February 5, with the actual ice fishing portion of the clinics dependent on the day’s conditions. For more information call the DNR Urban Fishing Hotline at 414- 263-8494 or DNR Urban Fish Biologist Matt Coffaro at 414- 263-8614. The locations for the clinics and the sponsoring fishing clubs follow:
• Humboldt Park, 3000 S. Howell Ave., hosted by Great Lakes Sport Fishermen and Milwaukee Casting Club.
• McCarty Park, 8214 W. Cleveland, a wheelchair accessible site, clinic hosted by Southside Sportsmen Club and the Sunnyside Rod and Gun Club.
• McGovern Park, 5400 N. 51st St., a wheelchair accessible site, clinic hosted by Okauchee Fishing Club.
• Scout Lake, 5902 W. Loomis Rd., a wheelchair accessible site, clinic hosted by Walleyes Unlimited.
• Wilson Park, 1601 W. Howard Ave., hosted by Wisconsin Fishing Club.
• Menomonee Park/Lannon Quarry, Townline Road, (1/2 mile north of Good Hope Road,
Menomonee Falls), hosted by Badger Fishermen’s League