LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

 
Lake Name:


Find
a lake.


boat trailer

Buying a license or registration? Donate $2 to aquatic invasive species research and control.



boat propeller

75% goes to WDNR's Lakes Segregated Account to directoy fund aquatic invasive species research and control projects. The remaining 25% supports your local merchant.    

       

research project map

So far, your donations have funded projects in more than 30 counties!

Contact information
For information on Lakes in Wisconsin, contact:
Wisconsin DNR Lakes
Division of Water
Bureau of Water Quality

Say Yes! to Aquatic Invasive Species Control

You may make a voluntary contribution of $2 or more when you renew your Boat Registration or purchase a Fishing License. This money will be used exclusively for grants and research coordinated by the Department of Natural Resources to minimize the spread and reduce the nuisance associated with aquatic invasive species.

Buying a license?
   

Where does my $2 go?

75% goes to WDNR's Lakes Segregated Account to directly fund aquatic invasive species research and control projects. The remaining 25% supports your local merchant.

Even when these projects do not take place on your local water body, the knowledge gained is applied to benefit ALL Wisconsin waters, yours included!

Examples of research paid for through this fund:

Eurasian Water-Milfoil

Eurasian water-milfoil is a high priority invasive aquatic plant in Wisconsin. WDNR has been studying the effect of different types of management on the abundance of milfoil in 24 Wisconsin lakes. This work is helping us adapt our management of milfoil to be more effective. We are also working to understand statewide patterns of milfoil invasion and the response of native plants. This will help us find ways to better predict lakes that are vulnerable to invasion.

Best Management Practices for Aquatic Invasive Plants

WDNR research works to improve the success of aquatic invasive species management. We are working with US Army Corps of Engineers and Dane County to study the most effective early spring management options for Eurasian watermilfoil. We have studied large-scale herbicide treatment as an experimental tool. We tracked how the herbicide degrades and moves in the lake and the whole-lake effects on plant communities. This will provide critical information for the best options to control aquatic invasive plants after they have been introduced while minimizing effects on native species.

Monitoring

The WDNR aquatic plant crews have surveyed over 275 lakes across Wisconsin since 2006 and have reported several new discoveries of invasive aquatic plants. We have studied seasonal changes in Eurasian watermilfoil, curly-leaf pondweed, and brittle naiad to understand the best time of year to monitor. This data is used to inform smart, science-based management that supports the sustainable use and preservation of our natural resources for generations to come.



Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers