Hours Change: The full MacKenzie Center property will be temporarily closed to the public during Learn to Hunt events this fall. This year the property will be closed on September 19, 20, 26, and 27; October 3 and 4; and December 5, 6, 11, 12, and 13.
Contact us at DNRMacKenzieCenter@wisconsin.gov with questions.
- Contact information
- For more information about the MacKenzie Center, contact:
- MacKenzie Center
W7303 County Highway CS
Poynette WI 53955
MacKenzie Center Poynette, WI
The MacKenzie Center, just 25 miles north of Madison, is one of the most diverse education centers in Wisconsin. With interpretive trails, exhibits, museums and programming available for school and youth groups, MacKenzie is a wonderful place to visit and learn about the natural world. The State Game Farm is connected to the MacKenzie Center and is adjacent to the arboretum on the western half of the property.
Facility and grounds
The MacKenzie Center is located on a 500-acre property near Poynette in Columbia County. Admission to the Center is free, but donations are always appreciated. The MacKenzie Center offers many great amenities.
- Interpretive trails that wind through forest and prairie habitats.
- Conservation and logging museums and exhibits.
- A wildlife habitat area that features animals native to Wisconsin.
- An arboretum that includes more than 100 species of trees.
- A nature study pond.
- An observation tower to view the property and surrounding countryside.
- A large picnic area with a shelter and restrooms.
- A lodge and dormitories for overnight field trips.
Hours of operation
|Dates||Grounds and trails||Wildlife area and exhibits|
|November through April||Open daily, dawn to dusk||Open Monday-Friday only, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.|
|May through October||Open daily, dawn to dusk||Open daily, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.|
The State Game Farm is open to public tours by appointment only.