Founded in 1911, Devil's Lake is the third oldest state park in Wisconsin, the largest and the most visited. Devil's Lake offers magnificent views from 500-foot quartzite bluffs overlooking a 360-acre lake. Enjoy lakeshore picnic areas, sandy swimming beaches, 29 miles of hiking trails or ease into the backcountry solitude. Devil's Lake is a beautiful year-round park with an intriguing natural history along the 1,000-mile Ice Age National Scenic Trail.
- Contact information
- For information, contact:
- Devil's Lake State Park
S5975 Park Rd.
Baraboo, WI 53913-9299
Wisconsin State Park System Devil's Lake State Park
North Shore boat landing temporary closure: The North Shore boat landing is closed until at least Friday, May 5 due to high water levels on Devil's Lake. The lake has risen about one foot in the last week and a majority of the parking lot is under water. The boat landing on the South Shore is still open.
- Devil's Lake State Park is open year-round from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Visitor Center hours are generally:
- Summer - 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily
- Fall and Spring - 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily, plus later on Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays
- Winter - 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily
- The Nature Center hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily in summer. After Columbus Day weekend in early October, the Nature Center will be open limited days. Call before your visit to find out when the Nature Center will be open.
Devil's Lake State Park is in south central Wisconsin about 3 miles south of Baraboo. From the south or east on Interstate Highway 90/94, take State Highway 33 west about 15 miles to Baraboo. Turn left (south) on State Highway 123 and go 3 miles to the park. From the northwest on I-90/94, go right (south) at exit 92. Take US Highway 12-East about 10 miles to State Highway 159. Turn left (east) on Highway 159 and go about 2 miles to the park. From the south on US 12, turn right (east) on Highway 159 and go about 2 miles to the park. From about April through November, the park can be reached via the Merrimac free ferry, State Highway 113 and County Highway DL.
- Vehicle admission sticker is required.
- Camping fees for the Wisconsin State Park System.
- Hunting and fishing licenses apply.
- Devil's Lake State Park is part of the Ice Age National Scientific Reserve and Federal passes are honored. Holders of National Parks passports receive a waiver of the vehicle admission fees, but camping fees are not affected.
Concessions and rental equipment
There are concessions buildings on both the north and south shore ends of the lake and in the Ice Age Campground. The buildings are open all summer and some spring and fall weekends. The stores sell food and groceries, basic camp items, ice, firewood, souvenirs, shirts and hats. Proceeds from nonprofit stores' sales go to the park and are used to enhance customer services. Both buildings on the lake rent rowboats, paddleboats, kayaks and canoes during summer.
Friends group and volunteering
- Devil's Lake State Park map
- Quartzite and Northern Lights campground maps
- Ice Age campground map
- Group campground map
- North Shore Day Use Area map
- South Shore Day Use Area map
- Hunting and trapping map
- Lake map
- Paddle the Baraboo (detailed Baraboo river map)