- Contact information
- For information on DNR calendars contact:
- Paul Holtan,
Season and permit deadlines
A calendar of upcoming hunting, trapping and fishing seasons and permit application deadlines.
* Indicates date remains the same each year, except some permit deadlines may be extended one day if they fall on a Sunday or Federal Holiday.
- Remaining spring turkey permits not issued through the permit drawing will be available for sale beginning at 10 a.m. on a first-come, first served basis through license sales outlets, and DNR service centers. In addition, licenses can be purchased on line through the DNR Web site. A complete list of units with the number of permits is available on the DNR website.
- Trout season opens on designated sections of some Lake Superior tributaries on the last Saturday in March. See the current Wisconsin Trout Fishing Regulations and Guide for more information.
- Hunting, fishing, sports, and conservation patron licenses expire.*
- Otter trapping season closes in central and southern zone.*
April 15 through July 31
- It is illegal to allow dogs to run on DNR lands and Federal Waterfowl Production Areas lands during this time unless the dog is on a leash no longer than 8 feet. Doe not apply to class 1 field trial grounds or DNR lands open to dog training.*
April 19 – 25
- Spring turkey hunting period A
April 26 - May 2
- Spring turkey hunting period B
- The yellow perch season closes on Lake Michigan and tributaries. The season reopens June 16.*
- Otter trapping season closes in the North zone.*
May 3 - 9
- Spring turkey hunting period C
- Early catch and release trout season closes.
- General inland waters game fish opener (trout, walleye, northern pike, bass in the southern zone). Check current Wisconsin Hook and Line Fishing Regulations pamphlet for exceptions regarding specific game species and waters.
- Catch and release only bass season opens through June 16 in the northern zone.
- Muskellunge season in waters south of State Highway 10 opens.
- Frog season opens. Runs through Dec. 31
- From Sept. 15 through the first Saturday in May, hook and line fishing is prohibited from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise in all Lake Michigan tributaries except the Oconto River and its tributaries and the downstream portion of the Peshtigo River (see regulations for details).*
May 10 - 16
- Spring turkey hunting period D
May 17 - 23
- Spring turkey hunting period E
- Yellow perch season opens on Green Bay, the Fox River and other Green Bay tributaries through March 15 with a bag limit of 15. Yellow perch season on Lake Michigan opens June 16.*
May 24 - 30
- Spring turkey hunting period F
- Muskellunge season opens north of State Highway 10.
Last revised: Tuesday March 21 2017