Season and permit deadlines
A calendar of upcoming hunting, trapping and fishing seasons and permit application deadlines.
* Indicates date remains the same each year, except some permit deadlines may be extended one day if they fall on a Sunday or Federal Holiday.
- Trout season opens on designated sections of some Lake Superior tributaries on the last Saturday in March. See the current Wisconsin Trout Fishing Regulations and Guide for more information.
- Hunting, fishing, sports, and conservation patron licenses expire.*
- Otter trapping season closes in central and southern zone.
- Youth turkey hunt.
- Spring Fish and Wildlife Rules Hearings and Conservation Congress county meetings held in every county.
April 15 through July 31
- It is illegal to allow dogs to run on DNR lands and Federal Waterfowl Production Areas lands during this time unless the dog is on a leash no longer than 8 feet. Doe not apply to class 1 field trial grounds or DNR lands open to dog training.*
April 16 – 22
- Spring turkey hunting period A
April 23 – 29
- Spring turkey hunting period B
- Early catch-and-release only trout season closes at midnight. Season is artificial bait, barbless-hook only.
- The yellow perch season closes on Lake Michigan and tributaries. The season reopens June 16.*
- Otter trapping season closes in the North zone.*
April 30 – May
- Spring turkey hunting period C