- Contact information
- For information on DNR calendars contact:
- Paul Holtan,
Season and permit deadlines
A calendar of upcoming hunting, trapping and fishing seasons and permit application deadlines.
* Indicates date remains the same each year, except some permit deadlines may be extended one day if they fall on a Sunday or Federal Holiday.
- Lake Winnebago Sturgeon Spearing Season opens. Season runs for 16 days or until the harvest level is reached. Season hours are 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. daily. The season will close after one day if one of the harvest caps is reached. Sturgeon must be registered by 2 p.m. the day they are harvested. There are separate, annual spearing seasons for Lake Winnebago and for the system’s upriver lakes of Butte des Mort, Winneconne and Poygan. Previously the Upriver Season occurred only once every five years but was open to anyone who wanted to participate in it and bought a license. Spearers who wanted to participate in the Upriver Lakes season had to submit an application by Aug. 1. Licenses for the upcoming season must have been purchased by Oct. 31 of the previous year.
- Lake Winnebago Sturgeon Spearing Season closes unless season closes early due to harvest caps being reached.
- Cottontail rabbit season closes in northern and southern zones.*
- Mink trapping season closes in the northern, southern and Mississippi zones.*
- Ice fishing shelters must be removed from Wisconsin-Minnesota boundary waters.*
- Lake trout season opens on Lake Michigan, Green Bay & Lake Michigan tributaries through Oct. 31.*
- The game fish season closes on tributary streams and ditches of Green Bay and the Fox River up to the first dam or lake (except yellow perch is open until March 15). There is an exception to this closure for portions of 9 major Green Bay Tributaries. Check the current fishing regulations for waters that remain open to fishing.*
- The fishing season for all game species closes on inland waters that do not remain open all year. Check the current fishing regulations for waters that remain open to fishing.
- Ice fishing shelters must be removed from inland waters south of Highway 64 by the first Sunday following March 1.
- Yellow perch season closes on Green Bay and its tributary streams and the Fox River from the mouth up to the De Pere Dam.*
- Beaver trapping season closes in the Mississippi River zone.*
- Ice fishing shelters must be removed from inland lakes north of Highway 64, Lake Michigan, Green Bay, Lake Superior, and Wisconsin-Michigan boundary waters by the first Sunday following March 12.
- Winter crow season closes.*
- Remaining spring turkey permits not issued through the permit drawing will be available for sale beginning at 10 a.m. on a first-come, first served basis through license sales outlets, and DNR service centers. In addition, licenses can be purchased on line through the DNR Web site. A complete list of units with the number of permits is available on the DNR website.
- Trout season opens on designated sections of some Lake Superior tributaries on the last Saturday in March. See the current Wisconsin Trout Fishing Regulations and Guide for more information.
Last revised: Thursday February 23 2017