Season and permit deadlines
A calendar of upcoming hunting, trapping and fishing seasons and permit application deadlines.
* Indicates date remains the same each year, except some permit deadlines may be extended one day if they fall on a Sunday or Federal Holiday.
- Woodcock season opens through Nov. 7.
- Duck season opens in the Northern Zone through Nov. 22.
- Trout season closes on rivers flowing into Lake Superior from their mouths to the first impassable permanent barrier (unless listed otherwise in trout regulations).*
- Lake trout season on Lake Superior closes.*
- Hook-and-line sturgeon season closes on inland waters.
- Set or bank pole and setline fishing season on specified waters in the Wolf and Fox river basins closes. Check the current Setline, Set or Bank Pole Regulations for open waters.*
- Duck season opens in the South Exterior Zone and runs through Oct. 9. Season reopens Oct. 15 and runs through Dec. 4.
- Duck season opens in the Mississippi River Zone and runs through Oct. 7. Season reopens Oct. 15 and runs through Dec. 6.
- Canada goose season opens in the Mississippi River Subzone and runs through Oct.7. Season reopens Oct. 15 and runs through Jan. 5.
- Special deer hunt open to people with disabilities who have a disabled hunting permit. The hunts are held by landowners who have agreed to sponsor the hunters on their property. Hunters must have registered to participate at a designated sponsor location by Sept. 1.
- Duck season closes in the Mississippi River zone; reopens Oct. 15 and runs through Jan. 5.
- Canada goose season closes in the Mississippi River subzone. Season reopens Oct. 15 and runs through Jan. 5.
- Youth deer hunt. Youth hunters ages 12 to 15 who have successfully completed a hunter education program and possess a gun deer hunting license may participate in this hunt. In addition, hunters ages 10 and 11, and youth 12 through 15 who have not completed hunter safety, can participate in the youth hunt with a hunt with a mentor license. Qualified hunters may harvest one buck deer on their gun buck deer carcass tag and additional antlerless deer with the appropriate carcass tag. Adults accompanying the youth may not gun deer and cannot accompany more than two youths. All hunting regulations apply, including blaze orange clothing requirements. Archery hunting remains open but archers must wear blaze orange. See regulations for additional requirements.
- Duck season closes in the southern zone; reopens Oct. 15 through Dec. 4.
- Canada goose season closes in the south exterior zone. Season reopens Oct. 15 and runs through Dec. 21.
- Black bear season closes. See current Wisconsin Bear Hunting Regulations for specific season dates and zones.
- Duck season in the southern and Mississippi River zones reopens through Dec. 4 in southern zone and Dec. 6 in Mississippi River zone.
- Canada goose season in the south exterior zone and Mississippi River subzone reopens through Dec. 21 in the southern zone and Jan. 5 in the Mississippi River zone.
- Pheasant season opens at noon; runs through Dec. 31.
- Ruffed grouse in the zone B opens through Dec. 8.
- 2014 sharp-tailed grouse season is under review.
- Bobwhite quail season opens at noon through Dec. 7.
- Hungarian partridge season opens at 9 a.m. through Dec. 31 (closed in Clark Marathon and Taylor counties).
- Cottontail rabbit opens in southern zone at noon through Feb. 28.
- Raccoon gun and trapping for state residents opens through Feb. 15.
- Red and gray fox hunting and trapping opens through Feb. 15.
- Coyote trapping season opens through Feb. 15.
- Fisher trapping season opens in various zones, through Dec. 31.
- Period 1 hunting and trapping season for bobcat north of Hwy. 64 through Dec. 25.
- Inland trout season closes.
- Muskrat season in the north, south and Winnebago zones opens through March 5.
- Mink season in the north, south and Winnebago zones opens through March 5.
- Lake trout season closes on waters of Green Bay and Lake Michigan and their tributaries.*
- Deadline to purchase Lake Winnebago system sturgeon spearing licenses.*