Season and permit deadlines
A calendar of upcoming hunting, trapping and fishing seasons and permit application deadlines.
* Indicates date remains the same each year, except some permit deadlines may be extended one day if they fall on a Sunday or Federal Holiday.
- Cottontail rabbit season closes in northern and southern zones.*
- Mink trapping season closes in the northern, southern and Mississippi zones.*
- Early catch-and-release only trout season opens statewide, with exception of spring ponds and Great Lakes tributaries; artificial bait only, but barbless hooks no longer required. Season runs to midnight April 27.
- Ice fishing shelters must be removed from Wisconsin-Minnesota boundary waters.*
- Lake trout season opens on Lake Michigan, Green Bay & Lake Michigan tributaries through Oct. 31.*
- The fishing season for all game species closes on inland waters that do not remain open all year. Check the current fishing regulations for waters that remain open to fishing.
- The game fish season closes on tributary streams and ditches of Green Bay and the Fox River up to the first dam or lake (except yellow perch is open until March 15). There is an exception to this closure for portions of 9 major Green Bay Tributaries. Check the current fishing regulations for waters that remain open to fishing.*
- Ice fishing shelters must be removed from inland waters south of Highway 64 by the first Sunday following March 1.
- Yellow perch season closes on Green Bay and its tributary streams and the Fox River from the mouth up to the De Pere Dam.*
- Beaver trapping season closes in the Mississippi River zone.
- Ice fishing shelters must be removed from inland lakes north of Highway 64, Lake Michigan, Green Bay, Lake Superior, and Wisconsin-Michigan boundary waters by the first Sunday following March 12.
- Winter crow season closes.*
- Remaining spring turkey permits not issued through the permit drawing will be available for sale beginning at 10 a.m. on a first-come, first served basis through license sales outlets, and DNR service centers. In addition, licenses can be purchased on line through the DNR Web site or by phone at 1-877-945-4236. A complete list of units with the number of permits is available on the DNR Web site.
- Trout season opens on designated sections of some Lake Superior tributaries on the last Saturday in March. See the current Wisconsin Trout Fishing Regulations and Guide for more information.
- Hunting, fishing, sports, and conservation patron licenses expire.*
- Otter trapping season closes in central and southern zone.