LRP - Licenses

LRP - Regulations

LRP - Permits

Recreation - Statewide

Recreation - Trapping

Recreation - Fishing

Recreation - Hunting

Env. Protection - Management

Env. Protection - Emergency

Env. Protection - Resources

To sign up for updates or to access your subscriber preferences, please enter your contact information below.

Get Started ›
Purchase your licenses and permits at Go Wild.
Set Up
a new DNR customer account.
Prove It
Understand the acceptable forms of proof.
Protect It
Ways to protect tags from the elements.
Tag It
Understand how to tag a carcass.

Go WildFrequently asked questions

What does Go Wild mean for me?

Starting in March 2016, the Go Wild licensing system will be available at more than 1,000 vendors statewide and will offer improved access though mobile devices at GoWild.Wi.Gov. The system will store your information online. Customers can purchase an optional conservation card, eliminating the need to carry the old thermal paper licenses. No fee increases are planned as part of the upgrade.

The GoWild.Wi.Gov website will serve as a portal to help plan adventures and make the most of Wisconsin's great outdoors. License options will include hunting licenses, fishing licenses, conservation patron licenses and boat, ATV and UTV registration renewals.

Without the thermal paper license, what do I carry with me?

Every completed transaction will provide a printable output. Customers will receive a sales receipt, license document, carcass tags and operating passes in a printable format whether purchasing online or at one of more than 1,000 partnering vendors. Additionally, Go Wild provides other options for most licenses.

Check the website or your regulations pamphlets to find out where you can use an optional conservation card or display permissions on your cell phone. The system also will allow you to use your Wisconsin driver's license, if validated within the Go Wild system. While in the past customers purchased licenses and permits and were provided with thermal paper documentation, with the Go Wild system, these permissions are stored electronically and can be accessed in many convenient ways.

What do I show the warden if I'm asked for my fishing license?

No matter where you are, you will be safe with the paper documents. Check the website or your regulations pamphlets to find the many ways that the alternative methods of proof can be used. These alternatives include the conservation card, a Wisconsin issued driver's license and the electronic display from your mobile device.

What about the stamps for duck, pheasant and trout?

The old system printed these permissions on thermal paper and customers could request the physical stamp. The new system will store the stamp information electronically and customers will still have the option of requesting a physical stamp. Proof that you hold the proper stamp is similar to licenses - check the website or your regulations pamphlets to find out what display options are available to you.

What about back tags for deer and bear season?

Effective March 3, 2016, state law no longer requires hunters to display back tags while hunting deer or bear.

What about youth hunters who don't have a driver's license?

One of the best new features of Go Wild is flexibility. Youth and nonresidents have the option to purchase a conservation card to use as card documentation since the Wisconsin driver's license is not an option. Other options include using the display from a mobile device or using the printable documents provided through all sales channels.

Will you have your hunter education identification on your card?

Yes! All hunter safety certificates will be accessible via the conservation card and verified Wisconsin driver's license and also will be printed on your license documents. Customers will have the option to print a single certificate "card" from their account at any time.

How do I validate my harvest, what do I punch without a harvest tag?

Since the new plain paper carcass tags are less durable, hunters will validate their tag by detaching the bottom portion (the "validation stub") from the rest of the tag. This is a change from prior years when carcass tags were slit, punched or written on to validate. You do not need to keep the bottom stub once the tag is validated.

So I take the piece of paper into the woods and marsh and write down the date of harvest?

Follow the validation instructions provided on the tag. In most cases, depending on the tag type, tags are validated by detaching the bottom portion (the "validation stub") from the rest of the tag. In wet or cold conditions, it may be worthwhile to carry the paper in a small plastic bag.

Where do I put my federal duck stamp if I have nothing to affix it to?

As long as you sign the federal duck stamp and have it with you, as required, you will be fine. You can affix the stamp to the paper license document if you wish.

Will all states be doing this so another state will know my license and history?

Hunting regulations and licenses are established at the state level so you would still need to buy a separate license in other states and follow those procedures. Some states already have electronic license sales and access while others do not.

Will this new system result in more expensive licenses?

There are no fee increases planned as part of the new system.

What if I don't hunt or fish?

GoWild.Wi.Gov is the gateway to outdoor recreation in Wisconsin. The website includes access to information on camping, details on outdoor activities, information on state parks and links to land maps, to name a few. There are so many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors in Wisconsin and Go Wild is here to help you find the activity that is best suited for you!

Download these frequently asked questions [PDF].

Last revised: Thursday September 14 2017