- Contact information
- For information on compliance audits, contact:
- Tom Nowakoski
Wisconsin's Environmental Compliance Audit Program
The Environmental Compliance Audit Program (program) is open to any public or private entity striving to maintain compliance with DNR regulations. The program enables participants to voluntarily audit their own environmental regulatory performance, disclose findings and correct violations with limited liability. The law that governs this program contains specific protections that prevent use of the program to deflect penalties for known or serious violations.
- encourages audits to improve both awareness and compliance with regulatory requirements;
- allows any public or private entity in Wisconsin to be subject to less financial risk and liability for violations disclosed as part of an audit; and
- offers companies a way to proactively communicate and work with the department on their environmental compliance.
How to participate in the audit program
The program requires three simple steps:
- Notify the DNR at least 30 days before starting an environmental compliance audit. Submit Notice of Intent to Perform an Environmental Improvement Program Audit (4800-021) [PDF] to the DNR to confirm your eligibility.
- Conduct an environmental compliance audit within 365 days after the 30-day notice to DNR.
- Submit an audit report to the DNR that identifies any violations and includes a plan for corrective action. This report shall be submitted within 45 days after the final audit report is completed. You can use the Environmental Compliance Audit Report Template or your own format to submit the audit report.
- Frequently asked questions about Wisconsin's Environmental Compliance Audit Program
- Environmental Compliance Audit Program fact sheet contains additional information about the program.
- Wisconsin’s Environmental Compliance Audit Program Statute.
- The U.S. EPA offers a separate compliance audit program specific only to compliance with federal regulations, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Audit Policy.