- Related laws
Recreational Trails Aids (RTA) Program
This is a federal program administered in all states. Municipal governments and incorporated organizations are eligible to receive reimbursement for development and maintenance of recreational trails and trail-related facilities for both motorized and non-motorized recreational trail uses. Eligible sponsors may be reimbursed for up to 50 percent of eligible project costs. Funds from this program may be used in conjunction with funds from the state snowmobile or ATV grant programs and Knowles-Nelson Stewardship development projects.
Who can apply
Municipal governments and incorporated organizations whose primary purpose is trails or trail usage can apply for this funding.
- Maintenance or restoration of existing trails
- Development or rehabilitation of trailside/trailhead facilities and trail linkages
- Construction of new trails
- Property acquisition for trails
Applications are typically due on May 1 each year.
How to apply
Stewardship Local Assistance Programs (STEW), Federal Land and Water Conservation Program (LWCF), and the Federal Recreational Trails Program (RTP) Grant Program Guidance and Application Materials are all in the same booklet:
- Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plans (CORP) Development Guidelines (CA-010)
- Power-Driven Mobility Devices on Wisconsin Trails (PR-066)
- Standard DOT Equipment Rates
- Accessibility Guidance for Grant Funded Projects (CF-031)
- Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (2 CFR Part 200)