Recycling Consolidation Grant to responsible units
The Recycling grant application period is now open. Please be sure to read the e-mail that has been sent to all Responsible Unit Authorized Representatives and Primary Contacts for specific instructions and deadline dates. Application Due Date: October 1, 2014 for full funding.
The Recycling Consolidation Grant is available in addition to the basic Recycling Grant. This grant program was created in the state 2011-13 Budget to offer supplemental assistance for Responsible Units (e.g. cities, towns, villages, counties, tribes or solid waste management system) that meet the eligibility criteria in s. 287.24, Wis. Stats.
Who can apply
Responsible Units: cities, towns, villages, counties, federally recognized tribe or band in this state or a solid waste management system under s. 59.70(2), Wis. Stats. and s. 287.09(1), Wis. Stats.
In order to be eligible for the Recycling Consolidation Grant, Responsible Units must:
Residential and 2-4 unit household recycling and yard waste program costs (net of the sale of recovered materials). Examples include but are not limited to:
- education & outreach materials,
- collection/transport of residential recyclables,
- RU employee salary, wages and benefits,
- utility services,
- contractual (purchased) services, and
- rents and leases.
Examples of ineligible costs
Collection of recyclables or yard waste from governmental, businesses and residential housing larger than 4 units and other costs as defined in s. NR 542.05, Wis. Adm. Code.
Applications are submitted from July through October 1 for the upcoming grant year.
Grant award payments are issued no later than June 1 of the grant year.
Actual expenditure documentation is due annually on April 30 for the preceding year by completing the Recycling Activities and Actual Costs Annual Report.
Completed grant applications that are submitted by the due date of October 1 are eligible for full funding. Applications submitted after the October 1 due date are subject to reduced funding as follows:
|Date Submitted||Percent Funding|
|By October 1||100%|
|By October 10||95%|
|By October 20||90%|
|By October 30||75%|
|October 31 or later||0%|
Note: If the grant application due date falls on a non-business day, the due date is moved to the next business day.
How to apply
Our recycling grant application is available on line from July through October each year. Responsible Units will receive an e-mail notification with recycling grant application instructions on or about the 1st of July each year.
There is one application for recycling grants. If you are applying for the basic Recycling Grant you do not have to complete the section related to Recycling Consolidation. If you are applying for both the basic Recycling Grant and Recycling Consolidation Grant you will need to fill out the basic application and the Section specific to Recycling Consolidation.
You need to have a User ID and password to access the electronic application system. Go to the DNR Switchboard to log in or register and get a User ID.
- Grant Application Instructions
- Sample Cooperative Agreement
- Recycling Consolidation Grant, s. 287.24, Wis. Stats.
- Procurement Guide for Local Governments Receiving DNR Grants
- Tips and Guidance for Responsible Unit Cooperation and Consolidation
- 2013 Actual Cost Forms 8700-227A, C, D and E (Microsoft Word)
- 2013 Form 1 - Actual Budget Worksheet
- 2013 Form 3 - Actual Ineligible Costs and Revenue 8700-227C
- 2013 Form 2D - Actual Depreciation Costs 8700-227D
- 2013 Form 2E - Actual Equipment Use Costs Form 8700-227E
- Effective Recycling Programs, s. 287.11, Wis. Stats.)
- Financial Assistance for Responsible Units, s. 287.23, Wis. Stats.
- Recycling Consolidation Grants, s. 287.24, Wis. Stats.
- Ch. NR 542, Wis. Adm. Code - Recycling Grants to Responsible Units
- Ch. NR 544, Wis. Adm. Code - Effective Recycling Programs
Annual report resources
The 2012 annual report period is closed. 2013 Actual Costs Worksheets are now available:
Codes and statutes
- Contact information
- For information on recycling grants, contact:
- Kari Beetham
DNR Community Financial Assistance