- Sign up to receive email or text updates when Board agendas are posted or updated.
- Contact information
- If you have Board-related questions or would like to request information, to submit written comments, or to register to speak at a Board meeting or listening session, email or call:
- Laurie J. Ross, Board Liaison
Office of the Secretary
- The Natural Resources Board and Department of Natural Resources are committed to serving people with disabilities. If you need Board information in an alternative format, please email or call the Board Liaison.
September 2013 Natural Resources Board agenda (PDF) This is the official agenda.
Since the posting of this agenda, the following have changed:
Notice Added (9/23/2013)
3.B.5 Deleted (9/9/2013)
3.C.3. Corrected (9/20/2013)
4 Modified (9/9/2013)
5.B.1 Added (9/9/2013)
Wisconsin Natural Resources Board
September 24 - 25, 2013 agenda and meeting materials
The Four Seasons Island Resort
N16800 Shoreline Drive, Miscauno Island
Pembine, WI 54156
Important changes have been made to the Board meeting format and agenda:
- The Board welcomes public input. People may speak on any agenda item that states Citizen Testimony Welcome and may speak on items that are not on the agenda in the Citizen Participation portion of the meeting. Pre-registration is required to speak. People may also submit written comments to the Board. See complete information about registering to speak and submitting comments on the Board public participation web page.
- The deadline to register to testify or to submit comments is 11 a.m. on the Friday prior to each meeting unless otherwise noted.
- Board Meetings are now streamed live and are permanently available on demand. To watch, go to the Board webcast library and click on the meeting or meeting segment you want to watch.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that on Tuesday, September 24, 2013, the Natural Resources Board and members of the Michigan Natural Resources Commission will tour and/or receive presentations at the following locations (Note: The public must pre-register with Board Liaison to attend scheduled tours. Exact tour schedule is subject to change):
Arrive at approximately 1 p.m. at Piers Gorge, Highway 8, Norway, MI, for an overview of the Menominee River State Recreation Area and the Michigan Recreation Passport. Arrive at approximately 3 p.m. at Quiver Falls, Pemene Dam Road, Pembine, WI, to view and discuss recent developments made to the property, tour views overlook and water access site, and two of the three waterfalls on the property. Arrive at approximately 4 p.m. at the Pembine Ranger Station, N18225 Highway 141, Pembine, WI, to view relatively new ranger station and fire control equipment, discuss Interstate Fire Control Agreement with Michigan, and receive an overview on the Marinette County Forest.
NOTICE IS FURTHER GIVEN that the Natural Resources Board and members of the Michigan Natural Resources Commission will have an informal dinner meeting at approximately 6 p.m. at the Four Seasons Island Resort, N16800 Shoreline Drive, Miscauno Island, Pembine, to discuss wolf management and aquatic and terrestrial invasive species.
NOTICE IS FURTHER GIVEN that the Natural Resources Board will convene at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday, September 25, 2013, at The Four Seasons Island Resort, N16800 Shoreline Drive, Miscauno Island, Pembine, Wisconsin. The Board will act on items 1-3 and 5-6 as listed on the Agenda.
NOTICE IS FURTHER GIVEN that on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at approximately 11:30 a.m., the Natural Resources Board will meet in closed session at The Four Seasons Island Resort, N16800 Shoreline Drive, Miscauno Island, Pembine, Wisconsin under the authority of s.19.85(1)(g) Wisconsin Statutes for purposes of discussing litigation matters. Added
NOTICE IS FURTHER GIVEN that matters concerning natural resource issues or the Department's program responsibilities or operations specified in the Wisconsin Statutes, which arise after publication of this agenda may be added to the agenda and publicly noticed no less than two hours before the scheduled board meeting, if the Board Chair determines that the matter is urgent.
Wednesday, September 25, 2013: Order of Business
- Organizational Matters
- Calling the roll
- Approval of agenda for September 24-25, 2013
- Approval of draft brief of action from August 13-14, 2013
- Ratification of Acts of the Department Secretary
- Action Items
- Air, Waste, Water, and Enforcement
- Request that the Board authorize public hearings for Board Order AM-21-12, proposed rules affecting chs. NR 400, 405, 408, and 410 related to consistency with federal major source permit review requirements and clean-up of rules related to the former indirect source permit program (PDF)
- Land Management, Recreation, Fisheries, and Wildlife
- Request adoption of Emergency Board Order WM-22-13(E), proposed rules for state park properties that would prohibit firearm discharge from or across certain trails and require dog-proof traps on dry land (PDF) Citizen testimony welcome
- Request that the Board authorize public hearings for Board Order FR-20-12, proposed rules affecting NR 45.045(2)(a) decreasing the distance from which firewood may be brought onto state lands from 25 to 10 miles, deleting NR 45.045(2)(b) and any appropriate housekeeping (PDF)
- Request that the Board authorize public hearings for Board Order FH-01-12, proposed rules affecting ch. NR 20 related to fishing tournaments (PDF)
- Request that the Board authorize public hearings for Board Order FH-25-12, proposed rules affecting ch. NR 25 related to the number and placement of trap nets for commercial fishing activity in the Restricted Use Area of Lake Superior (PDF)
Request approval of High Cliff State Park Master Plan Citizen testimony welcomeDeleted (moved to October 2013 agenda)
- Request approval of the Cherish Wisconsin Outdoors Funds Memorandum of Agreement between the DNR and Natural Resources Foundation (PDF) Citizen testimony welcome
- Request approval of clean-up revisions to previous Board determinations (December 2012, June 2013) under 2011 ACT 168, to clarify that a state park archery hunting opportunity previously offered at Rock Island State Park will continue to be available and to re-instate the previous hunting area available for the nine-day gun deer hunt at Newport State Park (PDF) Citizen testimony welcome
- Approval of revisions to illegally held wildlife response procedures for staff (PDF) Citizen testimony welcome
Handout: Wild deer Registration Authorization handout from presentation by Kurt Thiede, DNR Land Division Administrator
Handout: DNR news release handout from public appearance by George Meyer, Wisconsin Wildlife Federation
- Scope Statements
- Request that the Board approve the Statement of Scope for Emergency Board Order FH-27-13(E), for proposed rules affecting a new administrative code chapter related to the creation of a competitive grant program for municipal, tribal, and private fish hatcheries to increase their capacity to raise walleye for stocking in Wisconsin waters (PDF) Citizen testimony welcome
- Request that the Board approve the Statement of Scope for Emergency Board Order FH-26-13(E), proposed rules affecting ch. NR 25, related to amending Lake Superior lake trout harvest limits as required by revisions to the State-Tribal Lake Superior Agreement (PDF) Citizen testimony welcome
- Request that the Board approve the Statement of Scope for Emergency Board Order WM-24-13(E) and authorize public hearings on Board Order WM-11-13 related to deer management, hunting, and implementation of the 2012 White-tailed Deer Trustee’s Report (PDF) Citizen testimony welcome Corrected: Hearing Schedule has changed. Fitchburg and Superior hearings are scheduled to be held on Wednesday, October 23, 2013.
- Citizen Participation - 11 a.m.
- Citizen Participation (Note: If time permits, Items 5-Information Items, 6-Department Secretary’s Matters, and 7-Board Members’ Matters may come before the Board prior to Item 4-Citizen Participation at 11 a.m.) Modified
Citizen participation means citizen appearances on any topic not listed on this month's agenda. Information on how to register to speak is on the Board public participation web page.
- Information Items
- Air, Waste, Water, and Enforcement
- Land Management, Recreation, Fisheries, and Wildlife
- Department Secretary's Matters
- Retirement Resolutions (PDF) Citizen testimony welcome
- Robert Kaczmarek
- Debrah Nelson
- Wayne R. Ringquist
- The Friends of Badger State Trail, the City of Monroe, and Colony Brands will donate approximately $200,000 in materials and labor for construction of a shelter and restroom building on the Badger State Trail in Monroe (PDF) Citizen testimony welcome
- The Friends of High Cliff State Park will donate up to $30,000 to be used to repair the roof,door, and masonry of a silo to provide a historic meeting location and “Dark Sky Area” for interpretive programs and local astronomy clubs (PDF) Citizen testimony welcome
- Board Members' Matters